Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macrovertigo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Vermont/España/etc.
OK,
1 I checked first but did not find similar occurrence of this latest aberrant behavior (in what has always been a jiggy tower),
2 it is only out of curiousity that I ask since this G4 733 Mhz Digital Audio tower is finally getting retired soon,
But, has this happened to you, and/or can you explain what happened to me?
the story:
I go to the computer one morning and find that it is off - pressing the power button makes a feeble light but no bong or start up at all.
I go to my notes but find nothing mentioning this so I go on to apple.com to look at refurbished.
Then I try changing out the battery - replacing it with one from a similar G4 that is working well. This doesn't have any effect in the comatose G4 733 so I take it out to return it to the healthy G4, and go back to shopping for the new refurbished Mac Pro.
The next day, still stumped by the failure of the G4 733, I try pushing the power button once more for the heck of it, and, lo and behold, it powers up like ever, and everything is running normally now as if nothing happened.
This morning, now several days later, it occurs to me that I never replaced the battery in this ailing G4 733.
I have just shut down to replace the battery and things are as normal as ever, so,
the questions then if I may
a) - why did it start and run without the battery?
b) - Is the machine getting ready for real and final catastrophic failure?
c) - Should I power it down manually and remove the two relatively new hard drives now in case they are ruined when the rest of the machine dies?
Thanks

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I believe the PRAM was reset from the lack of battery backup for being out for an extended period of time. They will still run fine without the battery. It just stores things like clock and boot preferences. Which is why you reset the PRAM when a Mac typically fails to boot using a key combination, leaving the battery out does the same thing.

Macrovertigo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Vermont/España/etc.
dead again, and now replaced ...

for the record, the venerable G4 733 DA is dead again, and today I bought the 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor from the apple refurbished offerings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.