G4 9.2 to Tiger - Ebay & Ram ?'s

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alextheseal, Nov 6, 2006.

1. alextheseal macrumors newbie

Hi. This is my first post, and I've been reading the threads that come up when I search, but they've led to still more questions. With hat in hand, I'd like some advice. I've had my G4 running 9.2 for quite a while as a digital audio workstation running Cubase. After realizing that there's not going to be a mid-priced($1500 or so) mac pro coming out anytime soon, I just bought a used Dell SC420 server from an ITguy/musician. I was going to sell the G4, but after consulting with folks on Tapeop, I decided that viruses are too risky to put the Dell online. This means I want to keep and upgrade the G4 (AGP, 450, 256k, 10gig) as my net machine, and create a network or transfer files by other means. From reading this forum, my answers so far:
    -yes, I can upgrade to Tiger
    -I should probably get more RAM
    -cool thread on how to set up network
    -be careful where I get Tiger.
    I see it on eBay, supposedly factory sealed, for $75. Too good to be true?
    My G4 has no cd burner. hey it was only $1900! Should I spring for one, or just transfer music to the Dell, or will that get old quick? If so, can someone recommend a good reliable burner?
    Is it important to get RAM that matches what's in there, or no? For internet use, how much should I get? Where's the best place to get it?
    Can I accidently transfer malware to the Dell through the Mac?
    Finally, can anyone recommend a book or two? I've got to learn how PC's work and how they work as DAW's. My Macs for Dummies book left a lot to be desired in my opinion. Thanks!
    And yes....someday I hope to get a MacPro.

2. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Why spend so much money on an old machine?

How about springing for a used PowerMac G5 or a 2 GB RAM upgrade for your G4 would be quite nice!

I know that you may not have the money now, but that G4 is certianly old, and may not run tiger as good as you may hope...

Good luck

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I am looking for the cheapest place to get RAM for this same system, new or used. (Though I keep forgetting if mine is AGP or DVI). I'd love to hear any suggestions.

4. alextheseal thread starter macrumors newbie

well....you're saying $75 for software, and maybe another $100 total on a burner and some RAm is too much? What can I get for $175? A G4? =)