G4 AGP Card shootout

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Lord Blackadder, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I thought there was a discussion about this in the gaming forum, but I couldn't find it so...

I'm getting a single or dual Giga Designs G4 upgrade, and figure a graphics card upgrade may be in order. Barefeats seems to indicate that the GeForce4ti and Radeon 9000 are pretty close in performance, though the benchmarks don't include the latest games like Halo/CoD. The GeForce is nearly impossible to find and still seems to be in the $300-$350 range. The 9000 is reasonaby priced and available. And then of course there is the 9800...

My main question to those upgraded or MDD G4 users out there is will the new CPU push a Radeon 9800 Pro ME meaningfully more, or will the 9000 or GeForce4ti be all that it can ever use?

I'm inclined to buy the 9800 Pro ME from sheer vanity. :D

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

There is no doubt that you will receive much better performance from a 9800 than from a 9000. They are in a completely different class. If you get a dual upgrade that will certainly be able to push a 9800 far beyond a 9000.

I recommend buying the 9800 off of eBay from a seller with lots of positive feedback. Buy from the sellers with the "buy it now" for $269.99. They have the best deals.

3. buzzfgo macrumors member

buzzfgo

I did this and have been very happy. I paid $280 for my 9800 pro.

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Excellent. The 9800 will be on its way shortly. This should satisfy my upgrade itch for a while...I hope. :p

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Good timing with this thread :)

I have my G4 tower listed on an auction site, and I've already decided that if it doesn't sell, I'll upgrade the video card to a 9800. This thread confirms that it's a good idea :)