G4 and G5 Issue on Network

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by SFVCyclone, Mar 11, 2005.

1. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

I don't know if this has happened elsewhere but here at work we have 3 dual 2.5Ghz G5's and 4/400Mhz G4's. The 3 G5's are obviously using OS X and 2 of the G4's are on OS X. The issue here is that in order to do anything on the G5's and 1 of the G4's the Server has to be mounted, the server being a dual 1Ghz G4 with Panther Server edition. If the server is not mounted and you try to do anything, including simply opening a window the beach ball of death comes up and it never goes away, but if the server is mounted first then everything works fine. They are all connected to a hub and networked to the buildings network in that way, but the hub is the only thing between these computers.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Are you running DNS, DHCP, Open Directory on that server. I know that in a windows network, when the DNS server goes down, all the computers that are attached to it can't get internet. This mounting might be something of the same thing. That if the macs are not communicating with the server at some point before trying to contact the internet, the macs trying to get out get lost.

3. SFVCyclone thread starter macrumors 6502a

I checked in server admin and only afp, open directory, and windows are the active services, if it's any help this is a pre-press environment and the server is mainly used to store 4 hard drives which store the jobs that are being worked on.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

I'm going to throw out some questions to hopefully spark something, since I can't see how you have the network setup. How are the Macs getting their IP addresses? Which hardware is giving out DHCP address, and is DNS being given out too? You say its hooked up with a hub. Is this an 8 port hub or is it like two 4 port hubs on top of eachother with one going though the other? And does how your network setup have simularites for the macs not getting out? Like they the macs that are on the hub that goes into the other hub. Or are there no simularities in the way they are networked together?

5. SFVCyclone thread starter macrumors 6502a

their IP addresses were manually put in manually and they were assigned to us by SBC. i clicked on the dhcp thing in server admin in the server and it said that there are 0 dhcp clients and same thing goes for the DNS. as for the hubs, it is 2 8 port ethernet hubs stacked on top of each other, the server has 1 ethernet jack going into one of them and so does the other computers so that how they see each other. only one connection per mac to only 1 hub, so each port on the hubs is only for a different computer.