G4 ate a disk ....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Loudog, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Loudog macrumors newbie

Hi people .... I'm a newbie on here so go easy! I have a g4 tower that just ate a cd, and wont spit it out. I'm using a cheap Logitech keyboard, which has a button I programmed to eject the cd. The disk is of dubious origin ... burnt by a client - it doesn't show up on the desk top, and my eject button doesn't even display the usual grey arrow when pushed. I've heard about a small hole and paperclip .... I don't see any hole. I tried starting up and holding the apple-option-o-f keys, but it asks me to press "return" ... my board has only "enter" which has no effect.
    Help!! Please and thanks in advance ..
    Geoff

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hold down mouse button as you start up

you know i really have no idea if that works on desktops but it works on laptops (had some stuck in old iBook once) never anything in my powermac :/

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And depending on the operating system, F12
    or open iTunes and choose Eject from the menus.

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Is it one of the Mirrored Drive Door G4s? There was a bug of some kind with certain models of that Mac where it would refuse to spit out CDs. We had that problem for a while with ours at work – normally a restart would do the trick, but it sounds from your post that that didn't work for you. There's a page on Apple's site that might be of some use – it gives a few options to try, including finding that elusive paperclip hole... ;)

5. Loudog thread starter macrumors newbie

Woohoo!!

You rock. I found the hole ( behave .. ) and got it out. I think the drive went south. Or maybe north. I opened Toast and dragged an mpeg onto it ... that offers me the drive, which opens when I select it. It didn't offer me that drive .... me thinks she's toast. Thanks for the help ....

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You're welcome! :)