G4 Crashing/ 17" problem too

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Muskie, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

This is the second time today. I open up my G4 (dual 1.25 MDD, 10.3.4) to look at something, and it crashes. I get the darkened screen saying I must hold down the power button... blah blah. I used to open a few times a week to clean it or to just check a few things while it was on, and it never crashed. But all of a sudden (about 4 or 5 days ago) it crashes if I open it while its on. I'm thouroughly confused, and a bit worried. Anyone know whats going on? (I repaired permissions about a week ago)

I got a 17" Apple LCD as a gift about 2 weeks ago, and it works perfectly fine. However, I notice if I leave it off or put it to sleep for more than about 15 minutes, I get a strange high pitched ring when I turn it back on/wake it up. Anyone else have this problem or know what it is?

Thanks in advance.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I would go through your the insides of your Mac and really make sure that everything is attached securely. It may be a good idea to take your hardware diagnostic CD that came with your PowerMac and boot from it (hold c key down after the mac chime) and run through the tests. It will take a while depending on how much RAM you have. See if it finds anything wrong. Also, if you have something like TechTool Pro 4 you could use that also as it will check things like your processor, RAM, video card, etc.. Then run it through the hard drive tests and see if it finds any bad sectors, file structures, and things like that.

Did it do this before you got the display? If not then I'd try using another monitor for a couple of days and see if it continues to kernel panic on you.

As to the high pitched whine...thats probably your video card. My 17" flat panel iMac also makes a high pitched sound every once in a while. I don't think its a problem, but if you think it is and have another video card you can put in there temporarily then try that.

3. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

alright thanks for that, ill try booting from the discs when i get the chance, (later today i think) and hopefully i can fix something.

would the graphics card make the monitor itself whine? cause thast what it is, the actual monitor, its not coming from my comp (dunno if that wasn't clear before). i do have another graphics card though, so maybe ill giv eit a shot.

thanks again.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

So it kernel panics when you open the case? While it's off, open it up and make sure your video card, RAM, and any PCI cards you may have are completely seated. Also make sure all the IDE cables are plugged into the drives and logic board. Then don't open it while it's running.

5. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

Yea, I've checked all the connections, and I did the Hardware test. The error code it gave me was:
    2MEM/1/4: DIMM1/J22 (there isnt supposed to be a space in there, but it gives a smiley face if I leave it haha)

I'm not sure what to do with that. I double checked my RAM positions again after getting that, and they really are fine. Do I have a bad dimm or what?

Good point about opening it up while its on too.. haha.