G4 Cube and Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fancyafc, Jul 8, 2004.

1. fancyafc macrumors newbie

Hi, just want to know realistically what is the best graphics card that I am going to be able to fit into a Cube? Im not interested in case modding or hacking bits off. I have seen a 9800 in one but its too big. So what really is my best option? Cheers.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

There's one that a lot of people use, but I can't rememer what it is. Do a search over at cubeowner.com. I think it does require a little bit of hacking, or at least screwdriver work, to make it work.

Out of curiosity, why upgrade the video card on a computer that old? I don't see the benefit.

3. fancyafc thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I love my cube you see and until the day I can afford a G5 I will just keep upgrading it. I have installed a new hard disk, memory and a 800mhz processor so it does the job (just). But never really bothered with a new graphics card as it played games okay. But now I feel is the time to do it. Its either that or perhaps one of those powerlogic transparent cases. Not really taken an interest in graphics cards until now so just wondered what people recommended.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    to get most of todays video cards to fit inside the cube requires some handy work cutting up metal; if you arent comfortable changing the video card ina normal computer then this isnt sometihng foryou; but you mentioned that you upgraded the proc and hard drive so a quick search on thhe net for walkthroughs should yeild some results that should steer you on the path to install a new video card

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Use OWC's configurator thingy to choose the Cube and available video upgrades. They usually have some GeForces that may fit. Don't know how good they would be on modern games though. If you can afford it, your best bet would be the GF3Ti if you can find one.

6. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa