G4 Cube - USB Bent Pins

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by casparro, Aug 10, 2006.

1. casparro macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2005
    Hey Guys,
    Got a nice G4 cube here with bent pins on both USB ports. So I have no way of getting input to the computer. I've tried fixing the pins with no luck. Other than replacing the logic board, anyone have an idea how to get keyboard and mouse inputs to the computer? I open to any crazy ideas.

2. MikeNemat macrumors regular

Aug 6, 2006
    I had a PC once with front USB 1.1, and I wanted 2.0, so I desoldered 2 of the 4 ports on a USB 2.0 PCI card I had and made my own pin-header and plugged the front ports into my homemade pin-header instead of the USB 1.1 on the motherboard. Similarly, if possible, you could de-solder the USB ports off of the logic board and replace them with good ports from lets say a $9 USB 2.0 card off of ebay.

Note that if the PCB is layered and the ports don't go right through to the bottom layer, you may be SOL.

Another idea, based off of my above idea, is to de-solder the old ports and solder wires to the contacts instead and use the wires to extend outside of hte computers casing and solder to new ports there and wrap them in electrical tape or something for safety. This method could be preferred because you would not have to worry about mounting the ports to the motherboard. If you are doing this method, you may also consider butchering USB extension cables to get at USB type-A female jacks as that method is easier than de-soldering ports from a USB 2.0 card

Since I don't know your expertise when it comes to electronics repair, I'll mention this anyway. When soldering to a PCB with a soldering iron, especially something like a motherboard or logic board, be VERY careful not to hold the iron on the board for more than 1 or 2 seconds. It is very easy to lift a trace off of the board or to damage adjacent parts by heating it too long.