G4 Desktop vs. Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ndanimal, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ndanimal macrumors newbie

Can anyone give me a real life performance comparison between a Dual 1.25 and a 12 inch Powerbook 1.33? (default memory and graphic specs)

When I purchased the desktop, my main interest was in power, but more recently I've decided it might be worth sacrificing some for portability. I'm thinking of selling my desktop and putting the money towards a new 12 incher, but I don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of performance. This is a key time for a laptop though, because I just picked up a new iPod, and with the current educational deal, that means I can get an additional $200 off the 12 inch for a final price of $1199. Not bad...

Additionally, can anyone give me an estimate of fair market value for a 1 year old Dual 1.25 GHz, 512MB ram Desktop G4?

Thanks!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is a pretty general request. Doing what? Video/music editing? Gaming? Word processing? Surfin' the Information Gravelly Road™? Doin' stuff? :eek:

In the meantime, here is the XBench comparison site. It'll at least give a broad (read: to be taken with a grain of salt) overview/idea of how each compares with the other.

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/

3. ndanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, good point. Ok, to be more clear, I'm not as interested in number crunching as I am in general usability. To rephrase the question, when I'm checking email, doing light image editing, surfing the web, etc., will the laptop feel significantly slower?

Thanks again!

4. budaapple macrumors regular

I have both

and the desktop runs circles on any major app but for internet, music etc there speed difference would be nominal

5. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

You will be fine with a Powerbook G4. Infact my Powerbook G4 1.5 leaves my P4 2.0 in the dust, in regards to application opening and it handles large photoshop files much better (both have the same amount of ram)