G4 Dual 1.42GHz or G5 Single 1.6GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lok, Apr 15, 2004.

1. lok macrumors newbie

I've found a 2nd hand G4 Dual 1.42GHz for $1,350. USD.

Its a good deal I think...
    But I was planning to get a G5 Single 1.6.

Which one should I go for?
    Pls give me some advise.

:confused:

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

If you are going for a G5 it is best to go for the faster ones coz the single doesn't provide as much performance

Between the Dual G4 and the Single G5 I would go for the G5, simply put:

Better Bus Speed
    Faster Processor
    More Ram, faster also
    etc

I'm not quite sure about those two
    Sorry

3. cubist macrumors 68020

I bought the single 1.6, and I'm happy with it. It is very large, but fairly quiet, and has good performance. Refurb, $1399.

OTOH, that $1350 is a good price for the fastest G4 ever made. There are probably several things that would run faster on the dual G4 than on the 1.6.

My guess is that G4's will depreciate faster than G5's. The rarity of the 1.4 might make that machine an exception, though.

4. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

Generally, the Dual G4 will be faster.

However, you got to remember that a 64 bit processor will run a 64-bit OS, so the G5 is more likely to last you longer in terms of keeping your OS current.

I would suggest sell whatever computer you are currently using on eBay, save a few bucks on the side, and when Apple released 2nd generation G5s buy a refurb/demo/open box 1st gen Dual G5 cheap.

For some hardware reviews check out www.barefeats.com

5. Alte22a macrumors 6502

a difficult one

From my point of view I would say go for the Dual 1.4 since its bang for buck. the G5 1.6 is supposely future proof how much future proof is it? will 64bit processing at the moment be useful? Going back to G4 AGP/PCI graphics card models. My friend back then purchased a Pci G4 400, where as I waited and bought the first Gen Dual G4 500. Now 4/5 years down the line we are still using our machines. my friends PCI machine isnt really worth upgrading, PCI graphics cards arent really worth it. Were as I have ability to upgrade the dual cpu, change the agp graphics cards etc...

Its actually a difficult choice, at the moment I am waiting for a dual 1.4 dual CPU upgrade chip to be delivered. Where as my friend is waiting for the next gen G5 dual.... I can say that its comfortatble working on my computer with new faster drives, more memory and a new Graphics card.

Our main line of work is retouching Photography work, and processing raw photography data files. What we do makes total sensethe to have a G5 since the bandwidth is ideal.

Here is a bench mark test attached..

Attached Files:

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Given the eMac update, do you think Apple will update the G4 PowerMacs?

I can't afford the G% PM's, but the dual G4 PM's would be a real winner for me.... Really want USB 2

7. plizard macrumors newbie

The 1.6ghz G5 is not a good buy. Its a fast computer, thats for sure, but not only can it not carry the amount of RAM the other G5s can (4GB vs 8GB) but also its RAM is not as fast as the RAM from the other G5s. In addition it doesn't have the PCI X slots, and the dual G4 1.4 outperforms it in many ways. I understand most people wont need that much RAM, but how is this machine going to age well if it has a 64 bit processor without the 4GB barrier being broken. Trust me, the 1.6G5 will devalue fast. I would wait for the 2nd generation G5s to come out. This will push down the price on the current G5 line. And, if you still cant afford any of the biggies, try and find a single 1.8G5. That is a MUCH MUCH better buy, simply because other than not having 2 processors, its components are the same as the top of the line G5s.

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Umm....The G4 Powermacs are done. The Powermac line goes forward with the G5.

9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Simply put, the dual 1.42 is faster than the single 1.6.

Get the dual 1.42, no question.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sometimes it's not about which is faster, but down the road whether you'll be asking yourself if you should have gotten the faster old architecture machine or the low-end new architecture machine.

Generally the way things have played out in new vs. old architecture is that the older architecture generally will become obsolete much quicker, and in some case Apple has introduced software that only runs on the newer architecture.

While this switchover won't kill you quite as quick as the Nubus vs. PCI, G3 vs. G4, PCI vs. AGP, SDR vs. DDR, etc. -- this MaxBus vs. elastic-Bus change eventually catch up with you ("if" somebody come out with upgrade modules).

11. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

the dual 1.4 G4 absolutely. 2MB L3 Cache, great for Audio work, and the dual processor is great for Audio / Video work.

I wouldnt expect a truley 64 bit MacOS for at least 2 years.
    If i am not mistaken, the only application right now that even utilizes the G5's 64-bit architecture is the Adobe CS Suite.

Serial ATA on the G5's is nice, but you can slap a serial ATA pci card in a G4 for $60. The G4 is certainly not the dinosaur that many on this forum make it out to be.

12. Alte22a macrumors 6502

I totally Agree, Still waiting for my 1.4 G4 cpu upgrad. It still useable, I much prefer to get hold of an old 1.4MDD than a G5 1.6.

13. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I'd just like to second that agreement. The people who think the G4 is decrepid are way wrong...

14. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've been eyeing a dual g4 lately. I mean.. for $1300, itd really rock this single 1GHz powerbook... a great desktop machine to have sitting around for when I come home. I'd prolly take the dual g4 at that price, but with the revision approaching.. all bets are off. Give it time.. we get a dual 3.0GHz and both prices are going to drop pretty well.

Imagine being able to get a dual 1.42 g4 for like a grand.. that'd be hella-nice.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A real shame. I would love to see dual G4's continue in at least one machine with USB 2. Bench marks seem to show that the G5 for many us is not worth the extra money.

16. Alte22a macrumors 6502

The G4s arent dead, Apple stop selling them (except1.25MDDs). Some design offices in London are still running 9.2 on G4 450. PS 5.5 and illustrator 8. They all do there work its totally fine, slow? Yes but not unuseable. For home use with a bit of Luxury Dual 2.0 G5 is ideal, if money was never a problem. But bang for buck in my opionion 1.4MDD 1.6 G5 i dont think its worth it.

17. lok thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you everybody.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will go for the Dual 1.42.

:D

18. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Hey Lok, you from HK? Should be quite easy to get like Harddrives and memory quite cheaply. The MDD have huge amount of storage space inside..

19. lok thread starter macrumors newbie

You bet.
    Storage space is another reason why I go for the MDD.
    I'm planning to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card, a SerialATA controller and a 160g Serial ATA HD.