G4 Dual 1GHz MDD will not power up... button lights up when pushed, but thats it???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieF, Mar 24, 2006.

1. CharlieF macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm new here, unfortunatly my first threads is thus:

I have a G4 1Ghz MDD, it has been working fine. This morning i switched it on, all fine. Then, some hours later, i switched the plug off at the wall. Now, i cannot recall if the computer was on or off, sleep mode is enabled, so i didnt notice. Anyhow, now it wont turn on. The power button lights up when i push it, but htats its. No fan noise, no hard drive noise, no nothing.

Any ideas? where do i go from here? the warrenty has long expired.

thanks.

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Open your case, and there is a small brown button located on the motherboard near what looks like a short AA battery. Hold this down for about 10 seconds with the computer unplugged and that SHOULD do it (cost me about $50 for AppleCare to tell me this a few years ago).

3. CharlieF thread starter macrumors newbie

What is it? like a fuse or something?

4. jacqkeen macrumors newbie

It's the PMU (power management unit) reset. Just had to do this to my DA dual 533 a couple of weeks ago. Had the same symptoms your MDD has and it fixed the problem.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It resets something like the CMOS, whatever that is. I think it also kicks the power unit so it behaves the way it should. Not really sure. Give it a shot.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

not to scare you but thats the model that just one day as I resarted it, refused to stay powered on.

Holding the power button got it to light up and "power up" but release the button, it turned off.

I needed a new logic board.

replaced next morning by applecare (this was years ago)

7. CharlieF thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki