Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
So I decided to go to Tiger because the requirements are WAY lower than Leopard. I learned my Memorex DVDs don't work on PowerBooks as well during the process:mad:. I went the USB route, LightBulbFan guided me through the entire process. After 30 minutes of hair pulling, Tiger booted up!:cool: The performance of Tiger is amazing:eek:.

When I was on Leopard, I got G4 Fan Control(0.5) but the entire UI would slide when you toggled the settings making it unusable. Now that I am on Tiger, I was hoping G4FC would work but it won't open.

It pops up in the dashboard and then disappears...:(

Anyone know what the issue is? or any Alternatives I can use?

Thanks!:D

Reactions: LightBulbFun

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are no alternatives that I am aware of.

G4FanControl has NEVER worked for me - on any Mac I've used it on with Tiger or Leopard. The best I've ever managed is to get it to open but nothing has ever been clickable or settable. The one time I asked for support the dev completely ignored me.

Sorry, I can't be of more help, but I'm in that .01% of people the program just doesn't work for.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
"LightBulbFan" can no one get my user name right? :p its like my real name everyone gets one letter wrong :p (glad to help btw)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
"LightBulbFan" can no one get my user name right? :p its like my real name everyone gets one letter wrong :p (glad to help btw)
Eric (me; it's Eric with a 'k' please!!!) knows the feeling! ;)

My son's name is Gunnar. How many people do you think spell it Gunner?!

And my daughter has the British spelling of her name, Honour. Americans are always forgetting the extra 'u' in her name. :D

So does Alternose. @Altemose can tell you about that one. :D

Reactions: LightBulbFun

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Eric (me; it's Eric with a 'k' please!!!) knows the feeling! ;)

My son's name is Gunnar. How many people do you think spell it Gunner?!

And my daughter has the British spelling of her name, Honour. Americans are always forgetting the extra 'u' in her name. :D

So does Alternose. @Altemose can tell you about that one. :D

To be fair, Youngren is easier to spell than Ljungren. Somewhere along the line your forebears caved in and took the path of least resistance, too.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
To be fair, Youngren is easier to spell than Ljungren. Somewhere along the line your forebears caved in and took the path of least resistance, too.
I'm like sixth generation Swedish. I think my forebears probably caved at Ellis Island. Probably one of those deals where whomever took their name spelled it like they heard it. That's pure speculation on my part, but I think I might be right. My dad has a pocket watch and all the people who had it before him have their names inscribed as you spelled it.

The one that gets me though is when I tell people my name and they ask me how to spell it. When I'm done, I get "Oh, exactly like it sounds!"

Right so, perhaps you didn't need to ask me how to spell it?!

Then there's the people who stop listening when I start with "Young…". That's all they hear.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Now, back to the OP's question, G4 Fancontrol version 6.1 works flawlessly on my 15"PB running 10.5 and also on my 12" PB running 10.4.
In fact I've never had a problem with it. ever!

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
The only two versions I ever got to work of that app are 0.4 (the console one, IIRC) and 0.6.1, the final one with the GUI. The latter has the ability to store your settings at login, while the console one has to be run every time you reboot your Mac.
I don't think you can buy the app anymore...

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
The only two versions I ever got to work of that app are 0.4 (the console one, IIRC) and 0.6.1, the final one with the GUI. The latter has the ability to store your settings at login, while the console one has to be run every time you reboot your Mac.

I was not aware of this, thanks mikiotty

I'm pretty sure the app is still available to purchase.
I bought the latter version Feb. this year.
Here is an email address for the author if anyone wants to inquire.
andrea.fabrizi@gmail.com

He still has his website up, https://www.andreafabrizi.it/?g4fancontrol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.