G4 Hardrives? Can I buy a regular PC hardrive?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by obelix, Nov 9, 2004.

1. macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    Here's a quick questions. I am looking for a 250GB hardrive for a dual G4 powermac. I am wondering if I can use a ordinary PC retail hardrive or do I have to buy a specially designed "Mac-compatible" hardrive. I don't see why a regular PC hardrive wouldn't work. Can someone help me with this?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
    replace hard drive on a G4

Yes you can add any standard ATA hard drive you want to your G4. See this link from Apple http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26259

One of the great advantages of Apple over PC towers is the terrific engineering that goes into the build of the machine. Its a joy to add hard drives, optical drives or PCI cards to a G4 tower. No sharp edges to cut your hands on. If only the fan system on the G4 MDD was as well designed.

3. macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    As long as the interface, EIDE or SATA (new in the G5 Macs), it should work just fine. I have two 120gig drives in my Mac, and one came from my old PC.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    Thanks for the quick reply man! That was exactly the info I was looking for!
  5. macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2004
    Beware Western Digital

Although 95% of all the hard drives will work, there are a few that won't. Any Western Digital with a model number ending in 'J' will be seen but can't be formatted even by a G4 under 10.2+. I highly recommend Seagate as I have yet to find one with this issue (besides, they are a FAR better quality drive). I guarantee you'll be happy with it. They seem to have a much better life expectancy also. Just a preference and suggestion.
  6. macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    What dual is you planning to upgrade?

If its an older Digital audio or a Quicksilver your computer won't recognize more than 137GB pr drive (some QS can see the whole drive..)

If its an MDD, then you're safe to use any ATA100/133 drive.
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    How do I find that information out? I can't see that info anywhere.
  8. TEG
    macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    If your system doesn't have the Mirrored Drive Doors, stick to <137GB, to be safe. If you do have a QuickSilver, under your "About This Mac..." click on more info, and then on ATA. If it is ATA-100 or 133 you'll be fine with >137GB. To be on the safe side, I'd suggest buying an ATA-133 Card for the system and connect that way.