G4 Home Theater

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by D0ct0rteeth, Apr 5, 2002.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

So here is the situation....

I am redoing the corporate identity for a Highend audio business and have come across an extra projector and motorized projection screen cheap...

What I am wondering is; I want to hook these up to the mac; and use it as my home theater console.... add a few Bang & Olufsen speakers.... :) iTunes will be amazing... i'll invite Jobs over for some starcraft.... :)

what I am wondering is:

1. What are my options for soundcards. There was a discussion in the forums a little while ago and I dont remember any solutions for osx... creative.com has a nice 5.1 card.. but no OSX support. any advice?

2. I believe ATI has developed a new card w/ TiVO and VCRplus like functions. (TV-on-Demand and Gemstar GUIDE Plus+) but again from what I have seen it looks like another pc only deal.

3. How do this sound to you.. is there a reason I haven't heard of anyone doing this before? I may need a good preamp as well... I'm not sure...

Thanks again.. you guys rock...

C-

2. palala macrumors member

No B&O

Please promise me you will not use B&O speakers with your Mac. True, they are designed beautifully, but they don't sound great. I know they do in the store, but bring in some CDs of stuff you like and see how that sounds. If you are going to spend that much money, they are better ways to do it. Think about things like Definitive Technology, Celestion, and even a pair of Aegos would be better in my opinion. Good luck whatever you do though, and just so you know you are not alone, I have thought of doing this too, I don't see many real drawbacks, so I am also surprised not a lot of people do it. My theory is that a lot of people DO do it, but they are too busy enjoying it to write about it.

3. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

ATI cards...

I have a radeon card that has s-video and vga out. Unless you want to record video or watch TV on your machine (which I never want to do), you can just use your TV as the center of you G4 home theatre. Thats what I do and I love it! DVDs rock! iTunes rocks! Mac in general rock!

Is that enough cheerleading or would you like me to go on?

Matthew

4. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

speakers

ive heard that now twice today....

thanks for the heads up.... i'll look into those

C-

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Best speakers:

Palala is correct.

It entirely depends on your room and taste.

Klpisch makes the most GODLY fine sounding speakers I've ever heard.

Here's their Pro Theatre URL: http://www.klipsch.com/index2.html

Onkyo is the best reciever:

Manufacturer: Onkyo
    Category: Controller
    Model: Integra Research RDC-7
    Region: Worldwide
    Special Notes: THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG
    Type: Ultra

THX's list of reccommended components:

www.thx.com/professional_products/sound_listing.html

6. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

thanks.. the owner of the joint who I am doing the work for recommended Klipsch or McIntosh (audio.. not computer...)

I threw the blue man group cd in, and they sound awesome... hope I can get a soundcard that will do them justice :D

C-

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Nifty BUT

I'd almost put money on a 500Hz resonance at higher power levels. I think you'll find they hum a bit at certain frequencies during dialog and extended action sequences.

Have a look at the Klipsch website. I've heard Klipsch reference speakers at 3 college campuses. If the room is non-resonant and you've taken the time to pink-noise and EQ they are AMAZING. Clear, tight, warm sound.

8. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

9. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

well it still seems unfair that PC have tons of sound card options and Mac users are getting screwed unless we want to pay thousands for top of the line profesional sound cards. what about us consumers that just want good surround sound for our Power Macs?

Does anyone know if we can just use extrenal PC sound cards that run thru either USB or firewire?

10. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

I think a lot of people do this....

I've wanted to do this for so long. Of course there are the common obsticles to overcome. There is the time, usually i'm too busy to put something together. Money, of course these things cost money. and my wife, who basically points me back to the first two obsticles. I'd love to do this with a new HD flat panel plasma display.

Hey I've got a question. Okay the audio out on the Cube is digital. Is there any way to convert that to Dolby 5.1? If I'm playin' a DVD, where does the actual Dolby decoding happen, at the player (software on the mac) or at the Reciever that I plug it into? Does that make sense. Please forgive my ignorance, I've just started paying attention to this stuff.

Thanks,
    'Beaver

11. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, your session timed out, but I browsed the Apple Store, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that was the "Midiman Audiophile PCI Audio Card" you were looking at... it was the only audio card I could find. :D

That's pretty cool! I've been looking for a good audio card for mac for a LONG time. Who woulda thought the Apple Store had it! :rolleyes: :p

12. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

CAVIT RP-U200

Hi all,

I have also recently become interested in putting togeter a surround sound system for my mac-to-be (hopefully a G5 at the end of this year :))

Anyway, I came across this review of an external USB sound card/reciever. I thought you all might be interested in checking this out.

I would be interested in any thoughts regarding this product.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=219

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

"However, the overall lack of power means that the U200 can’t replace a true home theater system – in other words, rather than bringing the computer into the living room to become your entertainment center, the U200 is designed to bring the living room to your computer."

That seems to be a fairly important point. If you are doing this just to enhance your computer experience in games and DVDs, this is ideal. But for a true home theater, it's not powerful enough.

But it STILL sounds sweet. :eek:

14. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Bose Speakers

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding Bose speakers?(Specifically the Acoustimass 15 series)

I checked out the Klipsch speakers - holy crap are they expenive!!

Anyway, any thoughts would be apprecieated! :)

http://www.bose.com/home_audio/ht_speakers/am15/

15. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I agree with Hemingray;

I was balancing my check book getting ready to grab one until I read 14 watts per channel!!!

but right now it looks like the audiophile is the only solution and Im leaning twards picking it up.

Anyone recommend a video card (as it will be a home theater I will need TV support....will be projected on a motorized screen)

This looks good; but am I rightfully scared of USB quality issues??

http://www.ati.com/shopati/promotions/maccombo/index.html

Thnaks again;

C-

16. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

bose speakers

Instead of the bose i would get the Klipsch Synergy System 6 Speakers personally; I haven't been too impreseed with bose and these are actully a little cheaper....

C-

17. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

18. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

well the video card problem is solved when the nvidia Ti 128 card is actually availible (should be here before may) and it seems that there still isnt a pure affordable sound card availible yet

grrrrrrrrrr

I hope i can find one before August so I have it in my new Power Mac

19. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

What about the sound card suggested by drteeth above? Isn't that a pure soundard? Here is the link again.

midiman.net/products/m-audio/audiophile.php

20. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

21. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

thanks for the new info doctorteeth!

I wonder how the Delta 410 sound card compares to the Audiophile 2496?? I wonder which one is better?

Also, does anyone know if the above cards suppord EAX? I'm crossing my fingers that they do!!

22. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

It appears that the Delta 410 is more aimed towards 7.1 home theater sound while the Audiophile 2496 is all about supporting midi and is only supporting stereo sound. (not Dolby 5.1 or 7.1)

hope im not reading into it too much; and this helps....

BTW: Im all up formac's butt today about their "Formac studio family" products... I'll let you know what I find out...

Ahh... This site almost makes having unsupported hardware fun :D Thanks guys... you rock!! Great site!!!!

C-

23. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Sweet! I agree that the 410 looks bettter. I'm seriously leaning toward that one. I also am pretty impressed with the Klipsch speakers you suggested (synergy 6).

Which speakers are you looking at right now?

24. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Speakers are all subjective; like women and cars..... try anything before you commit:)

I love the Klipsch (seriously cosidering) but some people dont like horn driven speakers.... its all personal taste... Phasetech SM600's are good too (but not horn driven)

The Klipsch are more of a "throw in a dvd and piss off the neighbors" while the Phasetech are more "pour a cup of coffee and enjoy some miles davis"

I like to have miles davis piss off the neighbors; personally!!

glad to help bro; Keep listening!!

C-

25. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The Klipsch have excellent dynamic range.

It all comes down to what you use for demoing the speakers.

I've found the following combo useful:

THX Lucasfilm 8 minute sound test.

NIN: Closer

Toccata and Fugue in D minor as played by Conrad Clieg

Bach: Air on a G string

Crosby Stills Nash and Young: Love the One You're with.

Wynton Marsalis: Brandonberg concierto.

Follow up with the remastered Star Wars Trilogy DVD. The Forest scenes will kick your ass for 7.1 imaging.