G4 ibook bench

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ethernet76, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2003
    I know the g4 ibooks probably haven't arrived for anyone yet. But, once they do. I was wondering if someone could post benchmarks of them, then i could compare them to results of the powerbook. I know the results are going to be better for the powerbook. But how much so?
  2. snowdropper macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2003
  3. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    PowerBook is MUCH faster

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider much faster, but from what I see, the average 12" iBook G4 800Mhz gets about 67-70 with Xbench, while the 12" PowerBook G4 1Ghz gets between 87-90. So it's going to be a whole 20 "points" faster.

I definitely think you can notice 20 points, especially the different between a 70 and a 90. The old iBook G3 900Mhz scored about a 55 I think, so it's a pretty good improvement over that. However, if speed is your main concern (and cost isn't), you should obviously go for the PowerBook. The $1099 price tag (or $999 with edu discount) of the iBook is a very good deal in my opinion--now that Apple has thrown in double the memory and a slot-loading combo drive for $200 less than the previous model, I think the iBook is very competitive, although it will never be able to compete on performance.