Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2003
I know the g4 ibooks probably haven't arrived for anyone yet. But, once they do. I was wondering if someone could post benchmarks of them, then i could compare them to results of the powerbook. I know the results are going to be better for the powerbook. But how much so?

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
PowerBook is MUCH faster

Well, I guess it depends on what you consider much faster, but from what I see, the average 12" iBook G4 800Mhz gets about 67-70 with Xbench, while the 12" PowerBook G4 1Ghz gets between 87-90. So it's going to be a whole 20 "points" faster.

I definitely think you can notice 20 points, especially the different between a 70 and a 90. The old iBook G3 900Mhz scored about a 55 I think, so it's a pretty good improvement over that. However, if speed is your main concern (and cost isn't), you should obviously go for the PowerBook. The $1099 price tag (or $999 with edu discount) of the iBook is a very good deal in my opinion--now that Apple has thrown in double the memory and a slot-loading combo drive for $200 less than the previous model, I think the iBook is very competitive, although it will never be able to compete on performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.