G4 iBook RAM: Apple or...?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Waynuzzo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Waynuzzo macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2005
    This is my first thread in this community, so... hi everyone :D

I'm italian, I'm coming to NY on saturday (for a month... or even more, who knows? :p ) and I decided to switch.

I'm going to buy an iBook (if someone is wondering why I don't buy it in italy, please go to apple.it and see how much is the difference $$$ --> €€€ ... unbeliavable :mad: ), and I was wondering, since I have to work basically with photoshop which is a famous ram-sucker, if I should buy the additional memory apple.com is selling, or if it's ok if I buy it elsewhere ( I saw http://www.18004memory.com and http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iBooks-PowerBooks/G4-iBook/ which are both cheaper than Apple)?

I know this is a looong debated question, but I didn't find anything specifical to the new G4 iBook, so...

...hello everyone! :D
  2. The_Man macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2005
    Definitley do not buy apple RAM. Their pricing is rediculous.
    Buy RAM from a third party website that gaurantees compatibilty and offers a good (possibly liftetime) warantee. I like crucial.com but there are many other good websites as well, including 18004memory.
  3. assscat macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2005
    I bought third-party RAM from Crucial for my new iBook. A whole 1GB to take it up to 1.5GB. The RAM from Crucial is guaranteed to work with the iBook, so I didn't have any worries about buying it.

I did have one heck of a time getting it into the slot though. Adding RAM to my iMac was a breeze, but the advise to put the RAM in at a 30 degree angle and press down did not work for my iBook – once it was horizontal I still had to *force* the RAM into the slot. I didn't feel at all comfortable doing that, especially since the advice in the manual says not to force it. But it's there and working now, so I'm happy.
  4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    welcome to the forum! congrats on the mac!

never buy apple RAM, soooooooooooo overpriced...
  5. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    First rule - never buy Apple RAM, everyone will tell you that.

I would reccomend Crucial, as they do guarantee it to work with macs, however, these too are sometimes on the overpriced side. I would just have a search through different shops, trying to find the correct specs, as there must be some bargains to find somewhere.

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    If you're not happy doing it yourself and you don't want to void your warrentee, then I would recommend Apple. However, if you're comfortable with either of the above, www.crucial.com have some great deals
  7. Waynuzzo thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2005
  8. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Replacing RAM will not normally void the warranty. The only way you could void the warranty while replacing the RAM would be if you damaged something while doing it. Which may be what you were trying to convey.