G4 iBook + Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gregorydanger, Oct 18, 2004.

1. gregorydanger macrumors member

Oct 18, 2004
    I 'switched' in April and so far am very pleased with the decision to shell out the extra bucks to get a machine that's far more stable.

I'm not too up on the technical side of Apple machines (ie: specific requirements for certain software) and I've been checking out the boards here for a little while and have come across a number of posts from people who say that Tiger will not be compatible with the most recent iBook's and eMac's.

I was just curious as to if anyone had any confirmation on this. I hope that this isn't true, but I'd like to know if I should start looking into a new machine now.

2. macdaddy23 macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2004
    You should be fine as long as you have a DVD drive. If anything it should make your iBook run faster. ( Enhanced Unix Support ) and so forth.
  3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....what those people are referring to is some of the "advanced graphics" stuff in Tiger, more commonly called "eye candy" by some. Your G4 iBook should run the OS just fine - many people went through the same thing when Apple introduced "Quartz Extreme" a couple years ago, thinking their computers would not run the OS at all when in fact it was just the "extreme" that was not enabled....oh yeah!
  4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Yeah, what ^ DuffMan ^ said. If you don't need all of the eye candy then don't worry. I am going to buy one of the new ibooks coming out tomorrow and even though it may not support all of this eye candy I am going to buy it anyway.