g4 ibook (updated) vs. intel ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by v idioteque v, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. v idioteque v macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    #1
    I would have posted this in "new ibooks next tuesday?", however for obvious reasons i cannot. Since I'm guessing that ibooks will be updated mid september with better vid. card, 1mhz higher clock speed, bigger hard drive, etc. little stuff, I'm just wondering if I should wait till the new ibooks start shipping in June with intel processors.

    Since I know the laptop line, or just about any mac line with g4's will be the first to be updated, they'll probably put a single or dual core pentium m in the ibook. What would the performance difference be between an "m" and a g4? I understand it would just be a guess, but I'm still wondering. Also, would it get hotter?

    Either i buy an updated g4 ibook around paris expo time, or I wait another 6 months for the intel ones. What would you recommend?

    EDIT: This isn't an "i'm impatient and should i by now or later?" post. It's a, g4 vs. pentium m comparison based on what you think, since pentium can't be benched on osx obviously.
     
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #2
    Why not? There were enough of them started over the last week.

    Lets make it easy. Do you need or really want the iBook now? If yes, go buy it. The longer you wait, the longer you don't have it. If you don't really need it and you can wait longer, go right ahead and continue to wait. But while you sit there and twiddle your thumbs, you could be using a brand new iBook.

    Edit. Ok, now I see your edit. My guess is that the PowerMacs and PowerBooks will be the first to see the Intel chips. Its rare that iBook would get a new feature before the PowerBook. It may be two years before we see that Intel iBook.
     
  3. Mood macrumors regular

    Mood

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2005
    Location:
    NY
    #3
    get a mac mini, save for a laptop later in. portability is overrated.
     
  4. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #4
    A Pentium M (especially a dual-core one) wil be a good deal faster than the G4 found in todays 'Books. Heck, the Pentium M is faster than the Pentium 4 and clock-for-clock actually beats the Athlon 64!

    My guess is that a Pentium M equipped iBook will appear ~ May/June '06. If you need a laptop now, then the current line of iBook G4s are great systems, but if you can wait then do so - pentium m iBooks are gonna fly!
     
  5. iMacSE500 macrumors member

    iMacSE500

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2005
    Location:
    M
    #5
    I was under the impression that the upgrade to intel chain went Mac Mini -> iBook -> Powerbook -> iMac -> PowerMac
     
  6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #6
    I don't think anyone really knows. Its all speculation.
     
  7. Alasta macrumors regular

    Alasta

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location:
    Wellington, New Zealand
    #7
    Hear, hear. Whilst I believe that it is likely that we will see Intel iBooks around the middle of next year, you shouldn't base your purchasing decision on the assumption that this will be the case.

    What happens if you wait until mid-2006 and then discover that the Intel iBooks are still a few months away? You'll be kicking yourself for not buying now.
     
  8. Mood macrumors regular

    Mood

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2005
    Location:
    NY
    #8
    that's why he should make a minimal investment right now (get a mac mini, bare bones, get used to os x), and then when the pentium mactels come out, buy one then. (and sell the mac mini to someone for brand new, you'll lose little to nothing for this)
     
  9. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

    macbaseball

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Northern California
    #9
    That would be a lot of fun using a bare bones computer for 2+ years. :eek:
     
  10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

    mcarnes

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    USA! USA!
    #10
    12" iBook is the answer. Get one now. Not tomorrow, not after breakfast, NOW!
     
  11. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

    bbarnhart

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2002
    Location:
    Stilwell, Kansas
    #11
    If I were me, and I am, I'll be buying a new iBook when they are released. I'm not going to wait for the Intel iBook. The main reason for not waiting for the Intel iBook is that I'll get probably a year on the G4 iBook before the Intel iBooks are released, then software for the next two+ years will be G4 and Intel. That would be at least three years. Then I'll stammer and not replace it for another year. That will put me in at least 2 revisions of the Intel iBook.

    It's good to plan ahead.
     
  12. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #12
    just remember that the brand-spankin'-new iBooks with Intel will probably be buggy. Revision A is like a giant, public beta test.

    Get an iBook now, and get the intel when that G4 iBook bites the dust. (or whenever you want it.. those iBooks last FOREVER!)
     
  13. Mood macrumors regular

    Mood

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2005
    Location:
    NY
    #13
    i think you guys are making a big deal about the revision a intel apples.

    they're not goign to release somethign that hampers the basic functionality of os x. and besides, they've been working on the mactel version for over 4 years now, giving them ample time.

    who knows, maybe they've been developing for amd as well.
     
  14. v idioteque v thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2005
    #14
    So I guess I'll just wait till they update the ibooks in Sept., then decide if I still really want it. If I feel that I can put it off till June (or maybe later) to buy a new one, then so be it.

    Actually I'll just get the updated one. All I'm looking for is a better video card, and if it's a mobile FX5200 with at least 64mb, then it'll be a close decision. If they put a 9600 or something in there, I'm all in.

    Yes, the Pentium M will be faster (I'm just glad there's a good processor for pc laptops), but for what I'll be using it for, a g4 would be just fine.

    That is, if I still even want an ibook by then. who knows?
     

Share This Page