G4 iBook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by yogi477, Jun 8, 2002.

1. yogi477 macrumors regular

Does Anyone out there know of any news of a G4 iBook on the horizon now the iMac has gone G4 will Apple kill off the G3 entirely?

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well

It makes sence to do this. Apple should have the iBook go G4. People say it will interfear with the PB G4 sales, but it really won't.

The iBook would have a 550/667 or 667/733 MHz G4 chipset. It would/wouldn't have L3 Cache, and it wouldn't have a 32MB Graphics Card.

The Powerbook would go 867/1GHz, and stay with L3 Cache, and a 32MB Graphics Card. It would be bigger screened, bigger hard drives, and the works.

Apple should only keep the original iMac for first time mac users.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think that Aztec hit the nail...but let me expand a little.

I think that Apple should keep the Powerbook as a top of the line portable model, while the iBooks stay as a cheap and affordable portable computer. I would expect that if Apple does eventually use the G4 in the iBook, it would be a lot slower than the Powerbook, sort of like the PowerMac G4 to iMac G4 speed relationship, a 200MHz difference with the Power-line having more features. If Apple does plan to give the iBook the G4, it would also have to be around 200MHz behind the Powerbook; however, the current iBook is only 100MHz behind the Powerbook (I realize that it is G3 and G4, and I am comparing top models). The only way a G4 iBook would cause the Powerbook sales to struggle would probably be if the iBook and Powerbook had a G4 and a close relationship in processor speed. And I am assuming that the iBook will have to be cheap to keep the line of regular consumers in buisness and to separate the iBook more from the Pro line of portables.

Attached Files:

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Don't expect to see a G4 iBook anytime soon, they just did an update. My best guess is late 2002 in october or later for a G4 model, hopefully by the time I'm in college they will have 1ghz G4 iBooks:p

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

When they DO upgrade the iBooks to a G4 processor, they had better get PowerBook G5's ready! Or else it will blur the lines between consumer and pro models, having the same processor in both notebooks. (OH WAIT!! They did that already with the iMac and the PowerMac! :rolleyes: ) May they truly blow our socks off in July...

But I personally wouldn't expect to see a G4 in an iBook until next year...

6. swahilibill macrumors 6502

I hope

I hope we see a G4 iBook pretty soon here, I traded my iBook up for a G4 because the iBook was weak with DV editing. I also hope to see larger HD for these portables, and larger ram possibilities. I also hope, not to be repetitous of everyone else, but a freakin superdrive. I know its not conceivable right now, but everything is conceivable at a certain time for Apple. They just need to light a fire under the butts and gt cookin like they did with the G4 iMac.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

First of all, well done on 1000 posts. :)

Second, the iBook and the Powerbook stayed in the G3 line for exactly 18 months before the Powerbook advanced to a G4. And the iMac and PowerMac lived together with G3s for exactly 12 months. Quite frankly, if the iBook is upgraded before the end of the year, I would not be surprised of a G5 Powerbook comes out in late 2003 or 2004. If Apple keeps up this trend then I see this being the most logical. Unless Apple is really pushing for the G5 that fast, which I do not see happening, we will not see a G5 in the Powerbook for a while.

Third and final, again, the iMac G3 and the PowerMac G3 world lived for 12 months. So I would not be surprised if the PowerMac G5 is announced after this upcoming New York Expo. I just do not see such a quick trend change.

Fear the King.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

all I have to say is nice set of 2 cents King Cobra...he he he :D

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Don't forget that the reason it took so long to get the G4 into a laptop was the intense heat it created. The G5 is supposed to run much cooler than the G5, so i doubt it would take 18 months after initial release before we see it in a portable.

For the original question: i don't know that the current design of the iBook could cope with the G4. We might not see the iBook move up to G4 until a redesign, which almost certaintly won't be in the next 6 months.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

eye, I figured someone would go there.

But I get bored with just plain phrases: "My 2 cents", "flamewar shelter", etc. And I have so much experience with managing graphics in Appleworks that look 3D that it becomes natural for me to try something.

For instance:

Attached Files:

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Responding to britboy: I know I previously posted this somewhere, but Apple did try to create a G4 Powerbook with leather casing, but the whole system got too hot. I guess that is why Apple adopted Titanium. So it would only make sense for that long wait.

Also, it would be possible for the iBook to have a G4 processor if the processor used very little power and only got as hot as the current iBooks. I am not sure how this is done, but it should be possible.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't think that with even cutting back on the video/bus/cache/etc. you could put a G4 in the iBook and justify the price difference with a TiPB. It needs to stay as a G3 and wait for the TiPB to be something else. Period.

13. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Leather TiBook, Nice!

Thats tight, I would just want it to puta leather TiBoook in my collection of rare apple products that I don't have but want. lol!

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Leather TiBook, Nice!

It's not Titanium, it's leather. So if you want to call it a LPBG4 you can.

And, BTW, lots of luck running the hard drive and a G4 processor for hours on end in the !!!!!!!!!!!! You may see the leather burn and deteriorate.

What other substances could we use for a Powerbook G4 casing that may burn? Paper, wood, rubber cement...how come Apple didn't try this while there were at leather? :)

Fear the King.