G4 iMac Advice..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sk8erboy, Apr 30, 2005.

1. sk8erboy macrumors regular

Apr 25, 2005
    Hi, im new to Macs and cant wait to make the move.
    I have been searching craigslist frequently and have found alot of really good deals, or atleast i believe they are. Here is the first deal:

iMac power G4 for sale with 17 inch screen! I have had the computer for 2 years and its been great. I am getting rid of it because I need a PC for work :(. I haven't had any problems with it and its perfect for watching DVD's (i had it in my bedroom)

Here some more info:

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.2.8
    Speed: 800 MHz
    Machine model PowerMac 4,5 (version 2.1)
    256 MB ram
    Office X installed
    iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, iCal
    Comes with the keyboard, speakers and original mouse, and i have the original box

If you are interested please respond by email to Heather, thanks!

Great computer in excellent condition; works perfectly! Features include 800 MHZ G4 processor, 60 Gig Hard Drive, Apple Pro Full Size Keyboard and Mouse, front tray-loading disk drive and the great CD-RW/DVD-RW Superdrive, which allows you to burn your own CDs or DVDs as well as play them.

Item Specifics - Apple Desktops ;
    Product Family: iMac G4 ;
    Memory (RAM): 256 MB ;
    Processor Type: Single ;
    Hard Drive Capacity: 60 GB ;
    Processor Speed: 800 MHz ;
    Screen Size: 15-inch LCD display with easy height, tilt, and swivel adjustment ;
    Apple Keyboard ;
    Apple Mouse ;
    Operating System: DUAL BOOT MAC OS X 10.3.9 AND MAC OS 9.2.2 ;

In addition, this iMac includes the following Software loaded: (no CDs):
    Adobe illustrator and Photoshop CS;
    MS Office for Mac ;
    Firefox ;
    LimeWire ;
    iTunes ;
    More miscellaneous and lots of fonts ;

--[I much prefer the tray-loading drive to the current G5's slot-loading drive.] The beautiful compact domed design of the computer base, which contains all the CPU's internal equipment, is the best apple design so far in my opinion, fitting just about anywhere. The built-in flat-panel monitor is bright and clear, giving great color and resolution when viewing pics or films. This model cools without a fan, so no annoying fan noise! Original Apple disks and manual are included. Ships in its own original box.

A great computer!

$900 obo

and the third deal...

Apple Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz / 512MB / 80GB / Superdrive / NIC - $1100

What deal sounds most appealing?? I will only use my mac to surf the internet, download / burn music / or dvds, email, homework, and use simple photo editing programs. I am an aspiring writer/ photographer and im very into the artsy type of things. Also, could you please inform me of any neccessary additional expenses i will need to finance such as upgrades etc.? Thanks so much. Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

** edit **
    is the g4 iMac airport extreme compatible?
  2. sonofapplepm macrumors member

Apr 5, 2005
    Wheatland, Ia
    I just bought an iMac like the second one, minus the software. I paid $740US shipped . My family loves it and prefers it over the clamshell and 14" G3 900mhz. The iMac I bought had the original type Airport card. The Airport Extreme card does not fit!!! Our family would be lost without the Airport seeing as how all the computers run on it!!!

Too be more clear: The iMac is compatible with Airport extreme, but uses the original type Airport card!!
  3. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I would not trust the second one, since it seems the software is pirated (since it has no discs) if the person is willing to steal software does that mean the person may steal your money. Maybe yes, maybe not
  4. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Sep 14, 2003
    $900 isn't really a very good deal in my opinion, I'd suggest scouting eBay's completed listings for a better idea of what the market value is.
  5. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
  6. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i'd be wary of the powerbook cause that's less than half of retail on a computer currently for sale. no comment on the imacs though. good luck though, im sure you'll love macs!
  7. sk8erboy thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 25, 2005
    exactly how i feel.

maybe im just going to end up getting that mac mini... atleast i can afford it new... :(
  8. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2005
    the powerbook posts pepper every craigslist forum. they are fake. they'll send you to a website where you can get one....but not really.

for an imac g4 7-800mhz I'd pay no more than 750.
    Wait. Or offer that 800mhz deal for 750.

you can get an imac g5 for like 200 more, which has a 17 inch screen, a g5, a better video card, and a warranty.

even one of the best g4's, with like a 17 inch, 1ghz, etc... should be less than a g5...about 900$
  9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    My first Mac was the 15" 800 MHZ Flat panel G4 iMac. Has never given me a day of trouble in the years I've had it. Not one single crash, instance of odd behavior or anything, and it's always on- and always has been. Now, don't get me wrong- I love that computer, and even close to 4 years later it sits right in our living room and still gets all kinds of attention- the wife and kids use it everyday... That being said, performance wise it's definitely showing it's age... I won't get rid of it anytime soon because it still does everything I want, it's currently running Tiger flawlessly- never a doubt-, and after all this use I still consider it worth it to put a couple bucks of RAM in it and get a few more years out of her.. That computer was a great investment, and was definitely way ahead of its time, imho, BUT, it's not even comparable to a G5- and probably not even a mini...
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    What you mean is that the iMac is Airport-compatible, but not Airport Extreme-compatible. The PowerBook would be Airport Extreme-compatible.

Airport Extreme=802.11g/b

So the iMac isn't Airport Extreme compatible. You may have been confused because 802.11g routers are backwards compatible with 802.11b. So it may seem to be Extreme compatible but really, its just going at the fastest it can for 802.11b.