Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I have a 17" g4 imac 800ghz with a super drive (not a new computer by any stretch)
I'm getting two errors one follows the other when useing toast
first i get Drive reported an error: sense key = blank check
sense code = 0x00

then i get
the drive reported an error sense key = illegal request
sense code = 0x21, 0x02

This is when useing toast
when i try to burn from finder it just says
an error occured while verifying the disk.
this disk may not work.
mac gods please help me
BTW the drive plays dvds and cds fine and burns cds also with out a fuss
by the way i quite seldomely burned any dvds, though i've had problems leading up to this total failer.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Are you using a different type (brand/new batch even) of DVD? Many DVD burners can be quite picky about media they'll burn to. My first suggestion would be to try another type of media, and should that fail, do a PMU reset (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95165). Short of that, you could do an archive and reinstall, and if that doesn't work, I think pioneer still sells compatable drives. :p

etart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Are you using a different type (brand/new batch even) of DVD? Many DVD burners can be quite picky about media they'll burn to. My first suggestion would be to try another type of media, and should that fail, do a PMU reset (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95165). Short of that, you could do an archive and reinstall, and if that doesn't work, I think pioneer still sells compatable drives. :p

I have tried a few different brands of dvd-rs (fujifilm and philips)
both with the same negitive results.
I have concerns that the drive may be on its way out and if so perhaps other functions may start to fail in due time
such as dvd and cd playing and cd burning of which would suck to say the least.
I'm a bit weary of reseting my pmu, having fears some how my computer will fail to restart altogether

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Usually (in my experience) when drives fail, its all in one massive failure. To ease your mind you can try and run the Apple Hardware Test (on the discs that came with your iMac). A PMU reset is very unlikely to do any damage to your computer. I've done it loads of times, and as long as you don't do it twice in a row its quite safe.

etart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Usually (in my experience) when drives fail, its all in one massive failure. To ease your mind you can try and run the Apple Hardware Test (on the discs that came with your iMac). A PMU reset is very unlikely to do any damage to your computer. I've done it loads of times, and as long as you don't do it twice in a row its quite safe.

how do I run a Apple Hardware Test, is that with the tech tools disk?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
It'll say which disc its on on the disc or in the user guide/manual.

Edit: I remember some iMac G4s having some problems with version 2.0 of the test. An update was released, but I don't think you'll have the problem because they released an update early on.

etart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
It'll say which disc its on on the disc or in the user guide/manual.

Edit: I remember some iMac G4s having some problems with version 2.0 of the test. An update was released, but I don't think you'll have the problem because they released an update early on.

ran TechTool Deluxe after updating and seems via that test all systems are a go in fact if i were to trust TechTool Deluxe my computer is without problems or errors
though the dvd writeing problem presists,

etart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
AHT is unlikely to diagnose this problem, it does not conduct write tests on the drive (obviously). All it will tell you is if the drive responds to the OS appropriately as a drive.

What is (AHT)

etart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
What is (AHT)

ok i know what AHT is but i think all I have is tech tool, or at least thats all i can find to test.

I'm wondering is there a way of reinstaling the software for the super drive in case thats what the problem is, maybe something in the software is alittle out of wack?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.