G4 is now a television network

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macstudent, Apr 15, 2002.

1. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Huh.

Why do you think they picked G4 for their name?

Game 4? Maybe they cover four platforms?

Matthew

3. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

And it is also going to launch on the 24th. Isn't that some special Apple day where they sometimes release products? It could be a super-secret way for Apple to show other companies games, and then show the games on a Mac!:D :rolleyes: ;)

I wish. But if they did that, then they would have to have more games on the Mac than they do now to show that they aren't that far behind.:(

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

From the feel of the article (I read most of it, but not all), it will be a short lived network. I can't see that much demand for the kind of programming they are talking about. Also, how do they intend to fill 24 hours of programming time without serious repeats?? that will turn people off in droves. How many times do you want the same episode of a program (that isn't considered a classic or extremely good)???

Instead of being it's own network, it should be a show on another network. One, or even two, nights a week would be more viable (one hour programs). Hell, they could even do one night for each platform (as 30 minute programs), but I don't see them dedicating a night to just Mac games (sadly). Sort of how there are many magazines covering the other game platforms, including the peecee's but I have yet to see one dedicated to the Mac.

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I agree. Though do you remember TechTV (or ZDTV) when it first came on? There were practically no shows--repeats were running rampant. You can still turn it on and see The Screensavers a few times a day. Yet they seem to be doing well; more original programming and even some movies, etc.

Comedy Central started like that as well. How many times did I watch Short Attention Span Theatre everyday??? Only about forty.

They gotta start somewhere, right?

Matthew

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have yet to stumble accross TechTV when I am flipping throught the channels.

As for Comedy Central, I do enjoy it, for the most part. There are show on it that I just can't stand (because of the stupidity level, NOT talking about South Park). I am a fan of SciFi channel, but that has a lot to offer. SciFi, and comedy are wide enough categories that something will always be available. It does annoy me though, when you turn it on, and all that is showing is something you have seen completely already. I don't mind a second chance to watch a program that I missed parts of. But showing the same three or four shows over and over and over and over and over.... that gets more then a little trying.

Another issue I can see with a game network, repeats are not going to cut it. How would you feel if they repeat a show about a game that is out, and you have, but the show is stating how it is about to be released??? I think things like that will kill it fast.

That is why we hold the remote control, so that we can change channels away from the bad, and to the better. I also wonder what kind of ads they will be running. Who will be their backers??? I don't think that video card makers will be too happy if they show ads for their competition within the same show, or ad string. Not even magazines publish them close together. They are usually seperated by at least a few pages.

I see that network dying a crib death not long after going on the air. I would be very surprised if it makes it past one season, if that long.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

G4? Launch on the 24th? 24 hours of programming time? Oh, it just SOOOO reeks of Apple. ;)

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I think it reeks of something, but it ain't Apple... lol unless those are the rotten ones that ruin the barrel.