G4 MacMini Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacGuy88, Mar 6, 2007.

1. MacGuy88 macrumors member

Okay so I was installing a Sytem Update and I had to reboot. I got a black screen with white text telling me a bunch of stuff that makes no sense to me.
    I'm assuming this is the result of a kernal panic? No idea.

Anyways, it essentially gives me three options:
    /sbin/fsck -fy
    /sbin/mount -uw/
    /sh /etc/rc

I tried all three individually and together and all that good stuff.

I don't even care if I have to do a full system restore, I have everything backed up. I tried booting up to the Install CD while holding 'C' but it goes to the black screen.

In 3 years of Mac this is the first time I've ever had this big of a problem. :( Please help! Thanks!

~Brad

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

I am going to post this again, since there was a double thread:
    Did you interrupt the software update? Boot into single-user mode and do FSCK.

3. MacGuy88 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about the double thread, I'll try to follow along if it's still going on. I didn't neccessarily 'interrupt' the update, but i had to reboot for another application that I was installing and I did the software update at the same time.

I'll run upstairs and try the fsck one again.

EDIT: one huge detail I left out. When I do the last one, the sh/ etc/rc , it gets be to the blue screen and i can move my bluetooth mouse, but nothing ever loads.

EDIT #2: After trying the /sbin/fsck -fy it runs some stuff and says 'The volume Brad's HD appears to be OK.' But then that's it... still stuck.