Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buzzy Smith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Hi, all!

I searched the best I could in the forums before posting, so if I missed a link to this, I'm sorry!

I have a replacement motherboard coming in and even though I have a very talented and technical friend coming by to help, it'd sure be nice to have some instructions on removing the current motherboard and the subsequent install of the newer one.

Mine is having kernel panics about 98% of the time on attempted startups and I've tried (along with the Apple Store Genius Bar) everything I know how to do or have Googled and read. I think it's perhaps a USB bus issue.

I did manage to get it to boot from the Apple Hardware Test and everything passed.

And, one of the USB connectors on the back of the machine is damaged, so I figure a complete motherboard swap should eliminate all possibilities except for maybe the CPU which seemed to pass.

So back to the original query...are there docs somewhere to guide one in the removal of the motherboard?

I run a recording studio with this machine and I'm dead in the water!

Thanks in advance!

Buzzy

(I am looking into either a new MacIntel or possibly a used G5 to replace it with)

G4 dual 1.25 MDD Mac OS X (10.4.11) Recording Studio

Buzzy Smith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2009
Thanks a lot, Doc!

Surely one or both of these pdfs will be sufficient for my tech helper friend.

I really appreciate your taking the time and helping.

Skip the G5 quest, huh? Go MacIntel?

I do need PCI slots for 2 audio related cards.

Buzzy

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks a lot, Doc!

Surely one or both of these pdfs will be sufficient for my tech helper friend.

I really appreciate your taking the time and helping.

Skip the G5 quest, huh? Go MacIntel?

I do need PCI slots for 2 audio related cards.

Buzzy

Ah get a refurb Mac Pro. But you might need to get new cards as they only have PCIe slots now..I think

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.