G4 MDD Broken :( I think its the power supply...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robins2001, Dec 9, 2006.

1. robins2001 macrumors member

Hi

I have had my g4 mdd for a few years now and love it, never had a prob etc.... till now!!

It wont power up! I checked the fuse in the plug and it was dead, put new fuse it and try to power up and it just kills the new fuse, tried the power cable from my monitor (also 5 amp) and it blew the fuse, it leads me to think that the problem is coming from the g4's power supply,, what can I do to try and solve this problem?

Many Thanks

Ben

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Did you have any kind of electrical spike in your house. To me it sound like you PS went bad. That's what happen to my MDD in my house. Someone hit a pole near my house and the power went out then my MDD would not turn on

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Try the smell test -- anything smell burnt through the fan vent?

Most likely it's a failed component in the power supply.

4. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Assuming the power supply did indeed go, the one piece of bright news I can give is there should be a whole bunch of these floating around out there.

Very shortly after I got my MDD PowerMac, Apple caved to pressure about the power supply fans being too loud and sent MDD users new power supplies, without asking for the originals back. I (and, I imagine, countless others) removed relatively new, albeit slightly loud, power supplies from our machine and stashed them away in a closet somewhere. I believe mine's in my old closet at my folks' house right this second.

Anyway, good luck with the diagnosis!

5. robins2001 thread starter macrumors member

Hey,

I did not notice any burning smells no, I did however try a new fuse (again) and pluged in the lead and a there was a bit of a spark in the back (psu) :( what would cause this to happen? How much would a new PSU be?

Thanks

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds like the outlet you are using might be plusing a spike and killing it for you....have you tried moving to another outlet.

Bless

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

stating the obvious; the point of a fuse is to blow when the current gets too high, so the rest of the appliance doesn't get damaged.

If the fuse blew, the rest of the computer should be fine. Which means the power supply should be fine. Get the plug in the wall tested, or go to another one (as 2nyRiggz said) and see how things go.

This power supply is going for ~$100 USD, but you may be able to find them cheaper at swap meets or similar :)

8. robins2001 thread starter macrumors member

ok well this may be the problem then, the computer is coming through an extention cable as the wall outlet is too far away! how can i get round this? keeping in mind that i cant move the comp to the wall outlet perminently :( thanks

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

move it to a different plug to see if it blows. If it blows, it means theres something wrong with your PowerMac. If it doesn't, theres something wrong with the power coming out of that plug.

10. robins2001 thread starter macrumors member

will give that a try,, if it ends up being the extention cable that is causing it, would getting a longer power cable make more sense?

11. robins2001 thread starter macrumors member

ok tried that and it still blew :( guess its the power supply..