G4 mini or intel mini for MS Office?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by douglas, Mar 9, 2006.

1. douglas macrumors member

It's time to replace my trusty old Powermac G4 350mz. The new machine will be for business use, mainly MS Office and iLife, some minor CAD work as well as sending and receiving large pdf files. So, would I be better off with a new core solo or core duo mini, or a G4 mini (late 2005 model)? Would the integrated graphics on the intel mini be a slow with large pdf files? I would go with 1G of ram. This machine would need to last me a couple of years.

Also, I realize that a universal version of Office will be released eventually (when?), but do we know if it will be a new and improved release, or simply a universal version Office 2004? Thanks.

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

DO not fool around with the G4

Buy the Intel Mini, either version.... It would be a mistake today to buy the G4.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

If it needs to last you a couple of years, get the dual core Intel. I personally expect, though it is just my opinion, that the new Universal Binary Office will have new features.:cool:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Office 2004 runs very nicely via Rosetta after the first start up. The graphics shouldn't effect PDF files.

5. badmofo9000 macrumors regular

i would opt for the Intel Core machine. Especially since a new version of office is probably only a year away and then it will be a uni bin. Office is a resorce hog and when the new version comes out I would want as much power to run it as affordable.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

FWIW, Office 2004 on an Intel iMac seems faster than on my 1.33 GHz PowerBook. Probably don't want to run Photoshop on an Intel machine, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for Office.

7. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I just had this decision to make for my gf's machine , we looked at the cost of the new mini's and decided to go for a refurbished g4 mini at approximatly 1/2 cost.

8. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Definitely. The G4 is a very dated chip today and pales compared to a Core Duo. For Macs, intel is the future.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

what CAD program? You might want to make sure yours will run ok on the intel machines under rosetta

10. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

intel mini

go with the intel version. Office isnt very taxing on a system even if it is running in rosetta. by buying an intel mini you are als setting yourself up for the future round of apple applications.

11. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I wouldn't base my computer purchase off of MS Office needs. Office will run fine via Rosetta. So look at what else you will need the computer for (apps, etc...) and go from there.

12. douglas thread starter macrumors member

We use Archicad, and have a Dual 2.0 Powermac for the heavy work, although I would like to be able to use the mini for viewing, and minor drawing revisions. Thanks