G4 mini + X-Plane 8 = ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Aug 4, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm thinking about "getting into" the whole flight sim scene, which for us of course means X-Plane... my question is about how well it will run on my mini (specs in sig) with the scenery pack @ 1280x1024 (19" LCD)? I'm in the middle of a move right now and the mini is all boxed up, so I can't just d/l the game and test it (plus, I'm unsure how much effect the extended scenery pack would have on framerates?) but if I can run it decently I'll start looking for a cheap USB joystick on eBay.

Also, does the game include or can you get training modules? Something to tell you what you should be doing and what you are doing wring, etc?

Thanks!

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I think it would be better to have a G5 to run X-Plane, if you want all the scenery you'll need a high end G5/s.

3. buffalo macrumors 65816

I hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread to ask some similar questions...

I've got the opportuinity to spend some time in a real flight simulator (what DHL uses to train the pilots...) and thought it would be nice to buy the game before I go. MS Flight Sim 2000 was the last flight sim I've used, so would I be lost on what to do in X-Plane?

Any suggestions on a decent joystick would be great to. I have a Logitech WingMan Extreme that says it's Mac compatible, but I wasn't able to get it to work when I downloaded the X-Plane demo.

4. buffalo macrumors 65816

Also, does the Apple store not sell X-Plane in it's stores? I can only find the Deluxe version online, and I don't remember seeing it the last couple times I was in the store.

Where might I be able to find a copy?

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

X-Plane is pretty demanding on hardware, though I haven't fiddled with flight sims since the G3 days...my guess is that the Mini will struggle.

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

X-Plane should work fine on a G4 Mac Mini, as long as you don't have it rendering too many buildings. I've seen X-Plane at all the Apple Stores. I bought it from the X-Plane website and would recommend that to you too.

http://store.x-plane.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=3

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

X-Plane really crushes your hardware...!

I have X-Plane 8 running on my Quad / 7800 GT / 4 GB RAM.
    On it's default settings it looks very, very cool, but I wanted to max it out....
    Sorry to say the Quad could not handle it.

But, in defense of the Quad..... the game uses only one CPU.

And like I said before: for it to look great you don't have to max it out.

8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Only one CPU? Do you mean one core? Or both cores on one cpu?

X-Plane takes advantage of multi-processor computers very well. It can use more than one cpu to fly and when it loads new scenery, it can do that on another cpu while the other one keeps flying smooth.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

one core. Software sees each core as a seperate CPU even if it isn't physically there.

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

What I am saying is that X-Plane 8 only uses one Core during gameplay.

I took a couple of screenshots, and one listing "top" (from my Cube) while connected to my Quad using ssh.
    Notice that this screenshot gives X-Plane 103% CPU time. This is the highest given during my short flight. Nowhere near a Dual Core / CPU -CPU time which could be made.

Attached Files:

• Top.jpg
      Top.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Screenshot of the game while checking the CPU time.

Attached Files:

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

X-plane looks really cool. I have looked into it. I suggest you uby it directly from their website. You can choose to buy the 8 dvd pack with all the scenery and what not.

I have downloaded the demo on my eMac G4 1.25ghz and it ran ok.. graphics all turned down though. No video lag or anything.

13. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Here are some screenshots. The first two are night and day versions of the same place as the above screenshot. They were taken on my PowerBook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Would a macbook Pro be able to handle that game with the res. turned up? 2gb ram of course.

15. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Of course, I've used X-Plane on an Intel iMac, fastest I've ever seen it run. Much better than my G5 :\

16. buffalo macrumors 65816

You can launch and land on a carrier? How do the catapult and stopping wires work?

17. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Yes, you can. You can also use Helipads on destroyers and different types of oil platforms and buildings.

There are stopping wires on the back of the carrier, they work if your aircraft has a hook. You can even land a 747 with enough brakes. :p

If you start from a Carrier takeoff, you get put on the catapult like the F-35 is in the screenshot. You release the breaks to get catapulted.