Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NV77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
I need another monitor for my G4 Power Mac. It looks like a G3 or a G4 monitor should work. I have the old-school grayish connector.

I understand that there are adapters that will allow me to use other monitors but I am not sure which one I need.

Can you guys help me out?

NV77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Do you have a G4 PowerMac or a G4 iMac?

If it is a PowerMac, what graphic card (GPU) do you use?

Sorry...its a Power Mac. I have no idea on the graphics card. I assume it is the stock one that came with the machine. I bought it used. BTW,I'm looking for a cheap monitor to get by. Not a new digital flatscreen or anything.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Sorry...its a Power Mac. I have no idea on the graphics card. I assume it is the stock one that came with the machine. I bought it used.

edit.gif
Just realised you can't do the checking without a monitor.

Does the connector on the GPU look like this:

1. Apple Display Connector

800px-AppleDisplayConnector.jpg

2. DVI

181px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

3. VGA

300px-SVGA_port.jpg

/EDIT

Check the Model Identifier and post it here.

4707069290_6547e29211_b.jpg

To find out what GPU you use:

System Profiler (GREEN 3) > Graphics/Displays

4795685797_27d907b647_b.jpg

NV77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Mine is definitely the VGA.

It is the mirror window Mac - the one that is basically a big plastic shell that can be opened from the side.

I can't do all that other stuff because I don't have a monitor.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Mine is definitely the VGA.

It is the mirror window Mac - the one that is basically a big plastic shell that can be opened from the side.

I can't do all that other stuff because I don't have a monitor.

Then you can get almost any (98-99%) display produced between 1995 and 2005 I think, as VGA is almost ubiquitous. Thus you can buy every CRT displays and many LCDs out there.

NV77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Thanks! I'll take my cable with me and start checking some out.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Look on Craigslist.com for some local monitors. I'm sure you can find a deal on a DVI/VGA LCD monitor in the $50 price range or you can pick up old CRT(big tube monitors) for free. Many people just give them away since they are basically worthless now-a-days since LCD has come down in price so much.

Kaji79

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Look on Craigslist.com for some local monitors. I'm sure you can find a deal on a DVI/VGA LCD monitor in the $50 price range or you can pick up old CRT(big tube monitors) for free. Many people just give them away since they are basically worthless now-a-days since LCD has come down in price so much.

Also try thrift stores. I was walking through one today, and they had a sawtooth for 20$. Also they had about 15 crt monitors all from $5-$20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.