G4 Mounting hole specs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mehmet, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Mehmet macrumors member

Hi there..

Im thinking of watercooling a g4, but first i need some help..

I need to know the EXACT dimensions of the mounting holes for the Heatsink for the g4 chips in the quicksilver g4's (or maybe an MDD, but those are pretty expensive). Is there a motorola document somewhere that i might be able to check out?

Thanks guys, should be a pretty fun project no?

2. Mehmet thread starter macrumors member

I just realized something..

there are many versions of the g4, but i do not know WHICH version i will end up with. ( i havent actually bought the g4 i want yet). It will probably be the 733 mhz g4 quicksilver (i do not know the mpcxxxx model number).

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't think you'll find the specs for the mounting brackets on Motorola's site if you want to utilize Apple's heatsink mounting points.

But Motorola should have a decent description of their various "package" dimensions. Might need to look for it though.

4. Mehmet thread starter macrumors member

i cant seem to find it..

crap.. does apple not have any specs of their boards?

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

6. Mehmet thread starter macrumors member

yeah i saw that system..

They made ONE of those.. i guess they thought that there wasn't a big market (i actually was about to drop 200 bucks on my pc for watercooling... But i saw the light :)) If i were to actually do watercooling, it would probably be a LOT like theirs.. they've got pretty good placement of stuff.. i might move to pump above the cdrom drives though (as long as it doesnt interfere with the video card..)

I've actually got access to the system i want to grope by putting watercooling in it and i want to measure the mounting holes, but im afraid of taking off that huge heatsink, you guys think i'll need to reapply the thermal material to put that heatsink back on?

Also, how bout epoxying the block onto the processor.. good idea? bad idea? (you cant really remove the block after you epoxy it..)

this project sure would be fun to do.. but i have to make sure i will be ABLE to do it since money (and the fact that i can FUBAR the machine) is a concern, again, i do not have the machine that i want to do this to in my hands, i will have to buy a used one off of ebay. Anybody wanna donate their quicksilver g4 for a good cause? please?!!

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Motorala has mechanical descriptions and package descriptions all over the place in their different processor manuals.

Attached Files:

8. Mehmet thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but, there are no mounting holes ON the processor, The mounting holes are on that weird logic board sort of thing that has the processor soldered on to it.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i should think you'll definitely need a tube of thermal paste for the new heatsink. i once blew a G4 by not applying fresh thermal paste; for the cost of a tube, it's not worth the risk.

paul

10. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

that "logic board thing" is called a daughter board and all macs these days (well powermacs at least) use then for the processor interface. They allow the same mobo to be used for two different machines just by swapping the daughter board.
    A G5 1.8/DP1.8 and a G5 DP2.0 both have the exact same mobo. The daughter board(s*) tell the machine what to run the FSB at.

*until now DP machines have had both processors on one dauighter board. The new G5s however have a seperate board for each processor.

11. Mehmet thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i forgot the name of it..