G4 Not Seeing LaCie Big Disk

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacKenzie999, Jan 7, 2005.

1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Hi everyone, thanks for reading...

This morning at about 5am we had a power outage, and despite having my system on surge protection, I have had a casualty.

It took me a while to determine what was up, but my dul G4/867mhz, OS 10.3.7 is no longer capable of recognizing a 500gb LaCie external fw drive. Our iMac has no problem seeing it, so I don't believe the LaCie is at fault.

I've run TechTool and Disk Warrior on both the G4 and the LaCie (although I had to do the LaCie with the iMac, as even with booting from a cd neither utility could recognize the Big Disk when firewired to the G4.

So...I'm not a hardcore tech guy, but I'm not completely clueless either (my experience level probably falling into the category of Just Enough To Be Dangerous). Any advice before taking my mac to the hospital is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Mike

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Is your Big Disk the model that has USB & Firewire? If so try pluging the drive into the PowerMac via USB just to see if it will mount. Or if you have any other Firewire devices try pluging them into the Powermac and see if they work. That will at least let you know the Firewire ports are OK.
    Also try resetting the PRAM on the Powermac. To do this hold down Command (Apple Key) + Option + P + R when starting up the machine. You'll hear the startup chime, keep holding down the buttons till the machine chimes 3 or 4 times then let go and it will start up. Do this without the drive pluged in. Let the machine start up and then plug in the drive and see if it mounts.

3. MacKenzie999 thread starter macrumors regular

That did it, thanks so much!

4. Norouzi macrumors 6502