G4 or G5 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wonga1127, Feb 26, 2007.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Okay, I am currently deciding between getting a used iMac. I tend to like the G4 iMac's styling, but the G5 is only $100 more, so I'm not sure.

The specs are
    17" G4 iMac
    1 GHz G4
    768 MB RAM, 80 Gig HDD
    Airport Express and OS X 10.4

17" G5 imac
    1.8 GHz G5
    768 MB RAM, 80 Gig HDD

I only use my PC right now for web browsing, music, etc.
    What software can the G4 run well and not well?

I also wouldn't have to pay shipping with the G5, as the seller is within driving distance to me. It also comes with MS Office and the Macromedia Suite pre-installed.

For $100, I can't decide which one I should get. Suggestions?

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

If it's a revision A or B iMac G5, I wouldn't get it. Those iMacs had a lot of problems. If it's a revision C iMac G5 with an iSight, I would get it.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

If you will only be doing web browsing and office use the G4 will work great but for only $100 more you can get the G5 minus office. I would got with the G5 to be honest.

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

If you're just doing the usual (browsing/emailing/music etc) then a G4 will be fine, I still use my Powerbook G4 for a lot of stuff more tasking than that (photoshop and the like).

However, that $100 does get you a much faster machine. If you've come from a fast PC you'll notice the G4s age. If you've got a lot of photos; iPhoto and Photoshop would be much faster on the G5.

When it comes down to it, go for the one you prefer. If you're just doing the things you said you'll be fine. I bought my mum a 450MHz G4 for doing that and she doesn't notice the difference to our old 2.2GHz P4.

5. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Is your PC wirelessly networked? If so the G4 would integrate easier. I heard some revisions of G5's are hard to access internally, and the G4 just has a simple little cap on the bottom.

I personally like the G4 cuz it's a head turner, and is the unit that got me to switch back to Macs