g4 or g5

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by modyouup, Feb 21, 2002.

1. modyouup macrumors member

I currently have a powermac 6500. I was ready to buy a new dual 800 in december but then I heard the rumors about the g5 at san francisco. After that I became determined to wait for the g5 but I've had enough of waiting and I desperately need a dvd burner to steal more ps2 games ;)
    And the new dual 1 ghz macs look good but then again the g5's will have even more power and might have this gigawire thing and usb 2.0 ports. Then again, couldn't i get those ports in one of my PCI slots? Would it be the same speed?

And finally...should I wait fer g5 or get g4?

If someone could answer any of my questions please reply.

2. trinitishwar macrumors member

You may be in for the long haul if you wait for the G5. The specs on the next G4 look sweet though. Increased bus speed, much faster processors, everything short of actually having a G5 chip. Supposedly at New York. You know the routine. I'd buy a dual 800 now and sell it when something new comes out. Buy and sell, buy and sell. Good thing Macs hold their resale value. :)

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Macs hold their resale value???? Yeah right??? Where do you plan on selling yours??? Not on eBay I hope!! I spent 1700 on a Quicksilver G4 last July. 8 months later (1 rev) I'd be lucky if I could get 1100 for it on eBay!! That's 600 dollars!! A third of the price!! It could be worse I guess, but I hardly call that hold its value!!!

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

nah you can man....just play your cards right! you can do it!

5. trinitishwar macrumors member

You bought a 733 G4 quicksilver. As this machine had no level 3 cache and poor benchmarks, I'm not suprised that it is hard to get a good price. Even with Macs you have to do your homework. That aside, with a little work you should be able to get a much better price for your mac than for a PC of the same age.:)

6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Are you thinking strait? You can buy the QS 733 for 1259 BRAND NEW from apple. So if you can get it for 1150 or so, thats pretty good...

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you can wait for the G5 (sometime either this year or next, we hope) then I would do so. Either that or wait until after an expo and see what gets announced/released. No one really knows what is going to come out until the keynote. I am hoping to hold out until MWNY for my next tower purchase, but will wait until MWSF if I must.

As for Mac's holding their value, I am selling my G4 500 tower (have already settled on the price and received a partial payment) for $1700. That is with the 1.5GB of RAM, the second 40GB hard drive, and the 32MB ATI Radeon DDR edition video card upgrade. I am also giving them the ATI card that came in the system, unless they don't want it. If they don't, then I will be looking to sell it (don't know how much). I am also giving the woman the Apple Pro keyboard, mouse and Macally 3 button mouse for the computer (I don't need them without the tower). Granted, I have invested about $4300-$4500 total in all the parts as well as the original tower. I have had it almost two years, bought it in May of 2000, which is fast approaching the two year mark.

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Compare...

Compare a Mac to a Car. You drive a car a few miles, the value drops about 1/4 or 1/3 of the retail value.

You barely use your mac, and the value drops maybe 100-250 dollars :)

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Compare...

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to confirm the amount of use the computer has received. Unlike the odometer in the car...

As for cars, as soon as it leaves the lot, the value drops by at least a few thousand. That is the nature of the beast.

10. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Im in the exact same situation

I too have a 6500 and am more then ready to upgrade. However, the longer you can wait the better hardware you get for your money. Personally, i want to wait for G5 but After MWNY I will buy a new tower. I cannot wait any longer and really need the computer now. I just cant get myself to buy now because I feel like something big is just around the corner.

I think DDR and a faster bus one dual 1.5-1.8Ghz G4's will come out. I also hope for, but do not expect, to be able to have 2GB of RAM. Also, I hope LCD prices drop a bit. If you can wait, DO SO. I dont know what you need the computer for, if its just for everyday general use then maybe go with whats out now, but if you will need/want the most possible power then wait a bit. I'm putting my money on MWNY for something big.

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

thats because Apple made it cheaper... and now its pretty close to the price you sold it for.... if Apple hadnt made it cheaper, you could have sold it for a better price.

As for PCs, the prices just go down and down.

irmongoose

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

ahhhh ebay... where the seller can get the shaft, and the buyer gets the ball... :D... That and most of the time, when you really, really want an item, someone out bids you at the last second...

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

14. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

prepare to wait more than a year....if you do though.

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Have you been reading the bong water again (more fun then tea leaves). No one outside of Apple knows when they are going to be released. Rumors may fly, but they are just that... rumors. When Steve Jobs announces the G5, THEN we will know that they are here or when they will be truely available.

16. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Get a new computer now + add the PCI cards sometime in the future if you need to. Thats what I am going to do. I gurantee that you wont be disappointed with the Dual 1Ghz!!! I have one an its beautiful!! Get one!