G4, OSX and Canon S9000 challenges...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by UKDave, Sep 11, 2003.

1. UKDave macrumors newbie

This is my first post in this forum, so if it's in the wrong place or been covered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I've had difficulty getting real borderless prints on my S9000/G4 digital darkroom set up. Someone who has had similar problems suggested trying Canon's Easy Photo Print, as it solved the same problem for them. I don't know if it worked for them because maybe they didn't know how to drive Photoshop to do the same, but I thought I'd give it a try.

But Canon Easy Photo Print won't even start, as it just doesn't see the S9000 under OSX, though other apps output to it OK in OSX. Running EPP after rebooting into 9.2 finds the printer OK, but it seems it only recognises .jpg files. Weird.

I'm running the latest version of EPP downloaded today, and the latest OSX S9000 driver. Canon's support asked me if I'd set borderless option in Printing Prefs, but I can't find it. The only Printing prefs I can find are in Print Center, and that just lets me set default paper size. I mailed them back to ask them what they mean, I haven't heard yet but it's early days. In the meantime, my backstop, EPP, still won't work under OSX and I've had nothing from Canon on that yet. I've also put a question into one of the Apple discussion groups today, but not had a response so far.

Can anyone offer some insights into this? I'd really prefer to use OSX wherever I can, but is the only option to go back to 9.2?

If I get any feedback fron Canon and/or Apple I'll post it in here, but in the meantime I'd appreciate any advice.

2. nologo macrumors member

Hit Shift-Command-P to bring up the Page Setup dialog.

Make sure you select the Canon S9000 printer in the "Format For" section.

Then, under Paper Size, you can now select the A3 (Borderless), A4 (Borderless), US Letter (Borderless), and 4x6 (Borderless) under a submenu under A3, A4, US Letter, and 4x6, respectively.

Here is a screenshot in case you don't know what I'm talking about.

Yes, it took me a while to figure it out as well.

If you're still confused, I may be able to clarify.

Attached Files:

3. UKDave thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

My page set up box doesn't have options against the paper sizes that allow borderless printing.

Where do i go from here? Reload the OSX driver?

4. nologo macrumors member

Reloading the OS X Driver is an option, I suppose.

I must impress upon you to make sure you slelect the Canon S900 printer under the Format for section or else this won't work.

Here's a screenshot to show what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

5. UKDave thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I was selecting the correct printer. I've fixed it, though...

(BTW, how did you get those screen shots?)

I'd downloaded the driver, but not installed it. The OSX printer driver I had installed was for an old Epson printer I no longer have. I installed the S9000 driver and all was OK.

Presumably what functionality I was getting was from the S9000 came from the driver in the MacOS9.2 side of things.

This all happened due to a changeover to a new G4 from my old G3. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...:)

Now to eat humble pie and e-mail Canon support...

6. nologo macrumors member

I got the screenshots on 10.3 using the command
    Command+Shift+3 which takes a PDF of the entire screen, whatever it is.

I used photoshop and cropped it to my desired size as you see there.

One could also use SnapzProX (Which came with my G4 tower) to do screencaps, and I prefer that method, but I have not checked if it works in Panther as of yet.