G4 Powerbook 15" Desktop...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by netytan, May 26, 2004.

1. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Just an interest really but since you can plug a much larger screen into the new Powerbook range, and also since the specs for this line seem to beet the eMac and iMac right now... could you infact attach a Screen, Keyboardand Mouse and treat your Powerbook like a Deskop Computer?

This might be a problem as the battery runs down i dont know. Which brings to mind another question. If you have your Powerbook plugged into a power supply, does the battery still get used up at the same rate or stay as it is?

Mark.

2. wembley Guest

wembley

Yes, of course. And if you're lazy and dont want to attach monitor and USB cables, you can get a dock.

No. Plugging any laptop in charges it. Using it while plugged in uses wall power, not battery power; it may charge the battery more slowly, tho.

3. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

if you plan on runnign it as a desktop, why bother keeping the battery in it at all - just pawn it through ebay and make back a few bucks :p

4. wide macrumors 6502a

Wait for the updated (G5?) iMacs this June and July. They will probably be updated and will be faster and less expensive than the PowerBook G4.

5. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

True, but if you value portability as your primary solution a G5 iMac is irrelevant.

Having a docking station with screen and keyboard attached together with one of the new PB's is a very neat compromise between the desire for a powerful portable solution and the occasional need for a desktop solution.

Of course if the desktop solution is in fact the primary mode of working then a G5 iMac or Powermac with say an iBook for occasional portability would make more sense.

Bottom line one needs to decide which operational mode suits you best in the main, deskbound or portable? The answer determines which way to go.
    Vanilla

6. Godfather macrumors member

Not completely, let's say if u would burn like 500 DVD's with 'wall power', ur battery would die eventually. That's coz the powerbook's adapter isn't converting enough power for the 'book to stay alive with this much stress... Although I only noticed this with burning, maybe letting it act as a desktop isn't that demanding... (or mb it actually is more demanding...)

7. netytan thread starter macrumors 6502

netytan

Thats sweet, probably what i'll end up doing. The thing is i do alot of computer work - mostly linked to development and graphic design although the plan is to go back to college. This would require a medium of portability! Although when i got home it would be nice to have a desktop. And it just seemed to me like the Powerbook would fill both roles very well!

I'd shell out for a desktop mac too but then - college, need i say more ;)

Thanks guys!

Mark.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

How is this true??? If I can take out my battery, and run directly on wall power, and Burned DVDs, I would just be using wall power. I would think that the system would be able to use just wall power, and not battery, thus if your battery was charged, it would not drain it.