G4 Powerbook 867Mhz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JK.online, Mar 19, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Nov 28, 2006
    I'm looking to get this laptop as just something I can carry around with my music and so I can use it for word processing/note taking.

Will this run Tiger/Word well enough for what I intend to do?

Are there any notable problems I should be looking out for?

P.S. The specs are:

867Mhz Processor
    640Mb Memory
    40Gb Hard Disk Drive
    DVD/ CD-RW Drive
    12" Screen
    Bluetooth Adapter
    Firewire, USB, Modem, Ethernet Ports
  2. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i have this exact laptop. same config too except i have BT/Airport Extreme

i mainly use it for browsing/word/email/adium and i have no problem with it. you'll be able to run Tiger on it just fine. and Word works very well.
  3. macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2005
    MI or NJ
    Yup, that machine will be fine for Tiger / Word.

If you bump the RAM another 512 (Mactrackers says you can), then it'll run better. Crucial 1GB sticks run about $120 right now.

I'd also say that Airport would be useful, part of the advantage of having a laptop is that you can go to a library/coffee shop and get online. Check email, search the web, etc. I don't know how hard it is to add an airport card to that model, but then you're looking at another $100 ballpark.

All in all, the 12" powerbook is a great machine, small and light, easy to use on an airplane, etc. Smaller than an 8.5x11 stack of paper, so it lives in a backpack well.
  4. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    might not be worth the RAM upgrade, if only because the 640 isn't too bad for me personally. if you plan on having more than what i listed above open then perhaps try it and see if you think you'd benefit from it.

i do agree with the Airport card though. they are very easy to put in on this model too. there is a slot for it in the battery bay. they sell the cards refurbished on Apple's site, so thats something to look into.
  5. macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I've got that one. Four years old now and the only thing wrong with it is my grubby fingerprints on the keyboard. As suggested go for a 1GB RAM stick as it will take it.

I run Tiger on mine. Nowhere near as fast as my iMac, but still very usable when you have three or four programs open. I wouldn't use it for iDVD, but for Word it's fine.