Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
This is my first post so disrgard me being a noob. I have had a few macs. I have a g4 1.5 powerbook that I use everyday.

Today I went to turn it on and all I am getting on the start up is the Apple symbol and the hourglass circle that just keeps spinning.

I am pretty sure the hard disc is the problem. Bc, I can't hear it spinning.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help in advance.

Regards,

Jason

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Are you able to boot to the DVD that came with your computer? (Or the Mac OS X DVD if you've upgraded since you bought the computer.)

I have the disc. I have put the os x install disc in but i dont remember how to get it started. Do you have to hit one of the function keys during the start up?

I am mostly concerned about the 60 plus gigs of my music that I think might be gone.

Thanks for your help.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
There are a couple of ways to boot from the DVD, but I suggest holding the option key until you get a menu of drives/partitions to boot from. Since you have a slot-loading drive, if you haven't been able to insert the disk, you can do so now and it should appear in the menu after a few seconds. Select it and hit return to boot from the disk.

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
There are a couple of ways to boot from the DVD, but I suggest holding the option key until you get a menu of drives/partitions to boot from. Since you have a slot-loading drive, if you haven't been able to insert the disk, you can do so now and it should appear in the menu after a few seconds. Select it and hit return to boot from the disk.

Is there anyway to salvage my music collection. I really am not concerned about the powerbook. Mostly my music collection is my pride and joy.

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
There may be, yes. It just depends what is wrong with your computer. Have you tried what I suggested?

Yes, I did do what you have suggested. I came up with an error code.

2 Mem/104/4: sod1mm1/j25upper

It say memory (which I am thinking is my ram)

Mass storage has passed.

So I am thinking my hard disc is fine.

I am going to take out my ram and reboot the system.

Am I headed in the correct direction?

Thanks!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Well, aside from the fact that it won't start at all with no memory in it. ;) You could try removing and re-inserting the memory to ensure that it's not loose or anything.

Yes, that's the way I interpret the message as well. Your music should be safe, although for the time being it is inaccessible without physically removing the drive. There are a few things left to try before we go down that road, though.

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Well, aside from the fact that it won't start at all with no memory in it. ;) You could try removing and re-inserting the memory to ensure that it's not loose or anything.

Yes, that's the way I interpret the message as well. Your music should be safe, although for the time being it is inaccessible without physically removing the drive. There are a few things left to try before we go down that road, though.

I am doing the extended test now about a half hour it is calling for.

I took out the memory and it is still the same only no errors and everything has passed. But that was with the quick test.

So with no added ram chip in it is still showing the apple with the circling hour glass.

Thanks for helping me out you don't know how much i appreciate this.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Well, that it will boot to hardware test is a good sign. You're running it with the memory in, yeah? That should show up any problems in the memory if that's where the issues lie.

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Well, that it will boot to hardware test is a good sign. You're running it with the memory in, yeah? That should show up any problems in the memory if that's where the issues lie.

I took out the EXTRA RAM. Now I am running it with just the built in RAM. Or is that the only ram that it has is the removable ram?

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
I just got done. Everything passed. I am loading it right now with my fingers crossed. So I am thinking the removal RAM is what is the problem.

HOPEFULLY!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Have you run hardware test again with the memory re-inserted?

For the record, you will also need the stick of memory in order to boot to the Mac OS X DVD.

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Have you run hardware test again with the memory re-inserted?

For the record, you will also need the stick of memory in order to boot to the Mac OS X DVD.

So I have to have the stick of RAM installed in order for my notebook to work? I thought it had built in ram?

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
I just realized I had 2 sticks of ram I removed the upper bc that is the one that had the error code and swapping them.

Fingers are crossed

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
When your in disk utility you need to click on the hdd and then run verify disk. If it finds anything you need to press repair disk.

Any errors it finds will be in red. Also once that is done verify and repair the permissions too.

jasonsowers

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
When your in disk utility you need to click on the hdd and then run verify disk. If it finds anything you need to press repair disk.

Any errors it finds will be in red. Also once that is done verify and repair the permissions too.

will this lead to loss in my media (my music)?

I am doing it right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.