G4 powermac 400-466 Mhz

Discussion in 'Games' started by yoshiii, Mar 21, 2006.

1. yoshiii macrumors member

Hello I will be getting a powermac 400 or 4Mhz soon, and was wondering what video card with be good enough to play World of Warcarft on once I upgrade to higher processor card?

Help

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I'd say flashing a 9800Pro is a good idea (if only the standard ones fitted into the Cube :()

3. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Well, I think since its only 4mhz you might have a problem there :D and I should race it against my Mac SE/30 :p anyways, I know for experience with World of Warcraft. That it really should not be no problem to run it on that computer, but you should get at least 512mb in there, or more that might help, and well if need be you can upgrade the processor cheap too. And I'd agree a card like a 9800 Pro might do you well, just remember that if you use a slower computer its good to make up for it by having better then needed other stuff.

BTW: I am a level 60 Warlock (US Server Darkspear) 1400g, Epics, and Epic Mount, 300 Enchanter, 300 Herbalist, etc... So if you want help just let me know, I like Darkspear, but if you are on another Realm I can get on there to help you, just PM (only if your new to WoW) :cool:

4. yoshiii thread starter macrumors member

So you are saying that a 466Mhz can run WOW? I thought you needed at least 933Mhz G4? Also I don't have a pc to flash the video card. What is a good card already made for Mac that would be good, something not too expensive

help

5. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Well, I am saying it is possible, but possible and fast are not the same thing :rolleyes: I think those are AGP, but I know the Sawtooth was PCI, but a ATI-Radeon-9200 128mb AGP Card would be nice, and give it say 512-1gig Ram, and that should have you up and running at a decent speed assuming you have something better then Dial-up, if you have Dial-up don't play wow :p :rolleyes: You can always upgrade the processor to get it going a good connection speed, but with your now, expect lag, lost connections, and sometimes slow. Unless that is you upgrade these things.

Well, Good Luck!

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No way it would be nice, especially for WoW. Anybody plays this game on a G4 Mac mini?

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

just one version of of it, then they went back to AGP <--- mine is AGP

8. MacEffects macrumors 6502

I played on almost all my computers that had the possibility of even playing it. And, yep, I played WoW on a Mac Mini, one of the first ones, but non-the-less it worked ok, my PowerBook 12" 1.33 G4/512/80/etc... That is great for a laptop on WoW, thats my main Warcraft computer.

9. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Runs OK with eye candy turned down on my ibook.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Actually, the Sawtooth was AGP. The first G4, codenamed Yikes!, was PCI-only, basically a modified Blue & White G3 tower.

If your G4 is 400MHz, it is a Sawtooth (or possibly the slightly different Gigabit Ethernet model). If it is 466MHz, it is a Digital Audio, which is a slightly different beast (33MHz faster bus speed, 2x/4x AGP slot and a few other minor differences).

Ideally, get a PC Radeon 9800 Pro for a little over $100 at NewEgg and flash it. Other options are an expensive Radeon 9600 or 9800 Pro Mac Edition from OWC, or a flashed GeForceFX 5200, 5500, 6200, 6800GT (like mine), 7800GS AGP, or Radeon X800XT.

11. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

It's easy to get it to fit in there, it's cooling that might be a problem

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

As long as the fan doesn't burn out I think it's fine. My GeForce 6800GT runs at about 61C in my G4, and my Mac is stuffed with hard drives and PCI cards. If you aren't happy with the fan's performance you can always replace it with a higher-performance unit.

It's always a good idea to monitor temperatures though - it might save you from disaster in the event of a fan failure.

13. yoshiii thread starter macrumors member

Cool thanks will try one of those cards. But wilil WOW run on anything less than a 933MHZ G4 ?

Help

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

It will run, yes, but it won't be nice.

You'll have a nice gfx card, however you'll bottleneck at the CPU a lot.

Upgrading the CPU to match the graphics card power is a must if you don't want to end up wasting money on a better-than-you-can-use graphics card.

15. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Thanks I got mixed up with the code names even though I have both the G4s and G3s sitting right here :rolleyes: And a great place to find a nice video card would be eBay and NewEgg.

I have used WoW on a G4 533mhz G4 768/32mb Video Card, just a bit laggy but other then that, it worked great.

Good Luck!:D

16. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

No no, I mean the cube :D