G4 PowerMac Dual 1.25G vs. Refurb Single 1.8G G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacMarc, Apr 2, 2004.

1. MacMarc macrumors newbie

I am on the verge of buying my first Mac. My computing needs do not warrant a dual G5. My goal is to get the most bang for the buck for a desktop computer running Panther. I would appreciate any thoughts on my decision. Also, I am not sure if I should wait for the new G5, not because I would buy one, but in the hope that there might be price reductions in the current offerings that make it worth the wait.

TIA

2. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

mnstr_trd_sd

First of all, what are you going to use your computer for mainly?

If your just going to check email or surf the web, then an iMac or any type of G4 will do.

If you are a professional working with music, web, graphic design, 3D or Video Production, then the faster you go the better. That's probably when you need a G5.

But, if you're like most. Get the dual G5 for bragging rights! :p :D

3. MacMarc thread starter macrumors newbie

What do I use it for

Typically I am using financial software, web browsing, email, IM, listening to a CD or watching TV. I currently run 3 PCs, all multi-boot. I run Win2k for work, and various flavors of Linux for pleasure. I have studied Mac OS X and tried it out several times. I believe it to be the best general purpose OS out today and would like to run it as my primary OS. Hope this helps with you reply.

Thanks

4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

For what you do, either would would fine. However, I would recommend the G5 over the G4 for one reason alone - the apps you use don't take any real advantage of dual processors. That means the G5 offers a good 600mhz over the Dual G4 in terms of power. Not to mention, its offers far newer technology, and would last longer in the long run. If you decide to play any games on it, the G5 will also be far better.

5. Opteron macrumors 6502

While the G4 is a dated processor, I for some reason still have a soft spot for the MDD DualG4 PM's. However this computer will be slower point to point than a single 1.8G5.

However the option of a second CD bay, 4HDD's, makes the MDD G4 and atractive buy.

Though decision. Look at the graphics cards you can get with the G4, and make sure it's no worse than the card in the G5.
    RAM is your Friend, the more the better, but don''t buy from apple
    a Serial ATA (SATA) card in the G4 would be a great addition, imagine 1 SATA and 1 PATA RAID set up in the same box.
    Also remember you get the same software package on both machines.
    The MDDG4 is much smaller than the G5 (physical size)

Tough call.

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I had the same dilema when buying this machine! As you can see from my signiture I bought the single 1.8 G5 over the dual. Why?

The G5 is brand new, and will last a good few many more years! (read: ages)

The G5 had PCI-X, up to 8GB ram, SATA hard disk, faster RAM, Superdrive, etc etc etc.

The thing is, did I do the right thing? And honestly - i can't imagine being without my G5 now, it is unbelievably smooth, beautiful and fast (and thats just its looks!)

Buy the G5, honestly, you won't regret it when your a Mac Pro by Xmas

7. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

unless you have a need to boot into OS9, a single cpu G5 would suit your needs the best, and give you a good investment for the future.

8. pbailey macrumors newbie

pbailey

9. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I second that

I recommend the G5 also. You won't regret it.

The only advantage the G4 has is PCI FireWire 800 cards work twice as well with G4s compared to the FW800 in the first wave of G5s (including the dual 1.8s). I don't have any FW800 drives and for now I don't plan to get one.

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

That's something wrong with the Firmware people believe. It will eventually be fixed if enough people complain... Still the G5 has the FireWire 800 built in no hard ware problems, whereas a PCI card.. well we all know how much trouble they can be.

11. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

I hope you're right. Apple has had plenty of time to address this though, from 10.2.7 to 10.3.3 (about 5 sw updates), apart from a separate firmware update. At this point it seems more likely it is a hardware issue, but at this point of course it's just speculation one way or the other.

I'm really happy with my G5 though.. when I'm rendering or encoding, I use my PB and check MR. :)

12. Freakk123 macrumors regular

I had the same problem when I was getting a new computer, and I ended up getting the G5, with my main reason being longevity and that the apps I use wouldn't benefit that much from dual procs. I couldn't imagine giving up my G5 for anything else (Except maybe an xServe... ;) :p ). It is seriously one awesome computer. You won't regret it in any way, whatsoever.

13. MacMarc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info

Thanks you all for your replies. After much thought, I am going to get a G5. Now my only decision is whether to wait for the new G5's. Not because I want to buy one but I would be able to save some money on the current model. How much is older gear discounted normally? Is it significant enough to be worth the wait?

Thanks again,

Marc

14. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

discounts on previous models

previous models will be discounted, but by how much isn't that predictable.

for example, the G5 1.8GHz single was $2399 at first, and when the dual 1.8 came out the single dropped to $2099. at that time refurbished 1.8 singles could be had for $1899. a month or so later, smalldog.com had brand new (not refurbished) 1.8 singles for $1675 ($1710 shipped). Apple's special deals page had refurbished 1.8 singles for $1599 a couple of weeks ago. they also had the refurbished 1.6 for $1399.

they probably had a lot of 1.8 singles to move. I don't know whether there will be similar supplies of 1.8 and 2.0 duals when those models are superseded, but there'd probably have to be for similar price reductions.