G4 Powermac & InDesign/PageMaker

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mbdamdg, May 14, 2005.

1. mbdamdg macrumors member

I'll be the editor of our high school yearbook next year. Right now we're using a G4 Powermac G4 733 with a gig of ram running 10.3. We do most of the work in Pagemaker which has to run in classic which can be a bit slow a times, but works well enough. iPhoto can be rather unresponsive too... :mad:
    We want to upgrade to InDesign so we don't have to run classic, which doesn't like to print over the school network. Is Indesign going to run decently on the powermac, or do I and my fellow editors need to go pay homage to the tech department to get a new computer?
    thanks...

paul

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Alternative: you could boot the machine in OS 9 - the Quicksilver 733 is 9 compatible. This would run Pagemaker quite quickly.

3. mbdamdg thread starter macrumors member

That's what we did last year when we were using film cameras, but now with digital cameras it is much easier to use iPhoto to view the pics, so we have to run OS X to run iPhoto. (unless there's some better photo application out there for organizing pictures?) And I never really liked OS 9, but i guess i could overcome my fear of it.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

In our publication lab at my college, we are taught InDesign CS using PowerMac G4's running at 533Mhz with 1GB of Ram. They oddly enough run very well without any major slowdowns.

I wouldn't worry about InDesign. It's not that demanding of an application. Although features such as preflighting, PDF exporting, and printing will be slower. Download the trial version from Adobe's website, and see how well it will perform on your specific computer.