g4 powerpook sleep help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dual2ghzg5, Apr 6, 2004.

1. dual2ghzg5 macrumors newbie

ever since i got my powerbook 8 months ago it went into sleep every time i closed the screen. At first it was cool now its just realy annoying....does anyone know how to change this PLZZ!!!!!!!

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure thats how Powerbooks are designed. My 12'' Powerbook goes to sleep when I close the screen as well.

3. dual2ghzg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

bump..come on, no one can tell me for sure if it can be done? :(

4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

um.......

......don't shut the lid..... ;)

Why is this annoying? The time it takes to come out of sleep? Or do you want to fold while you go to work/class (until you can hook up to an outlet)?

If it doesn't go to sleep and if you put it into your bag the computer will get really hot. Somehow my computer didn't go to sleep one time while it was in the bag and the computer was hot and the fans were going full when I pulled it out of my bag, I wasn't very happy needless to say.

Nuc

5. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I have seen threads about this in the past. There is no way to keep your powerbook from sleeping when you close the lid. There are magnents inside the lid and body that sense when the lid is closed and put the computer to sleep. The powerbook is designed so that much of the heat it produces radiates out of the keyboard. Closing the lid and having it still running would cause it to overheat. Like a previous poster stated, I had a Tibook that froze and didnt sleep when I closed it. When I got home (20 minutes later) I took it out of the bag and burned my fingers as if I had touched a hot pan. Another good reason for it to sleep when the lid is closed is because it is dangerous to move around with the computer when the hard drive is active. One jar or bump while it is spinning could cause serious damage to it. My advice is to get over it, don't close the screen, or give the powerbook to someone who doesnt mind and get a PC.

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

You are able to do this if you are using an iBook. It is part of Screen Spanning Doctor which is a hack to allow dual screens.

7. dual2ghzg5 thread starter macrumors newbie

All of your examples arguing against closing the screen are irrevelant seeing as how i dont want do do any of those things. Like your somewere with your laptop and u just wanna listin to some music and not have the screen taking battery...yeah u could turn down the brightness all the way, but its just cool having the option of closing your screen. I realy have no idea but i heard the opposite and that no heat is radiated from the keyboard..seeing as how my key board never heats up are you sure about that? Didnt know about that magnets though, thats cool.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you can wake back up the PB after the lid is closed via USB mouse or a keyboard. it must be connected to an ext. display to stay awake, though.

other than that, i don't think there's any way to keep a PB awake with the lid shut. it's just the way it's designed, so you'll have to get over it.

9. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I was just summarizing what had been said in previous threads like this one. I have had an Apple tech tell me that heat radiates from the keyboard, but then again he was talking about the Tibook and powerbook G3 models. I used to connect my old Powerbook G3 to an external monitor and I always wished I could close it and stash it somewhere out of the way. I eventually just had to deal with it and move on. Anyway, good luck finding the best solution to your problem. :)

10. cornboy macrumors newbie

sleepy G4 PB

My enquiries at Apple Store in the past indicate that PBs have what is called a clamshell mode designed specfically to allow you to hook up to an external keyboard and monitor. Suggest you phone the local Apple Store for an answer. This does not apply to ibooks. Hope this 1. is true and 2. helps yuou out

11. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

It's not a problem, it's a feature! Why wouldn't you want to do it...

Anyways, there are hacks which can change it but they can destroy your system. Search for "no sleep" or "sleep" or something along those lines at versiontracker if you are willing to overheat/melt/short your PB to disable a very useful feature.

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

definitive answer: straight from apple.com

closed lid operation is an apple endorsed and built in feature for the powerbook.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/graphics.html

as it is a "feature" of the PB, i don't think your PB will melt.

however, if you hack the firmware so that you don't even have to plug in ext. keyboard/mouse and monitor, you may do some harm because fan may not turn on as needed, etc.

13. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

yeah, works great with the lid closed and an external keyboard/monitor. . . saves the LCD cause im not using it all the time :)