G4 processor in G3 blue and white help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prostuff1, Dec 16, 2006.

1. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I have the processor and i know that I need to install a firmware patch to get it to boot. Unfortunately i do not have that. I had the processor from a computer that i took apart from my high school that i could not get to work.

I have done some reading and it seems that I need like Sonnet Processor, which I can download and install and it looks like it should work.

The other one i have found is the XLR8 patch which i think is the 6th one down on the page. I am hoping that that one will work.

From my reading it looks like i should use the XLR8 one.

If anyone has done this before please chime in so i don't frack up the machine.

2. prostuff1 thread starter macrumors 65816

prostuff1

OK, for anyone wondering i did manage to get it working. I used the xlr8 link and downloaded and installed it. It went without a hitch and worked just fine.

I have a G4 400 in the Blue and White G3 right now and every thing is working great.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Now overclock that baby and get some mo s p p p peeeed........xlr8 has a how to guide that explains it all :D

been there, done that! I had an OWC G4/550 card in my old B&W running @650 notta problemo for over 2 yrs! YMMV

ps: only do it in 50mhz steps and run the machine for a while, to check for stability, before moving to the next level.