Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Here's the rub:

I have a G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz with an ATI Radeon 9600 XT (pins 3 and 8 have been taped.)

I recently bought a 15" Studio Display from a fellow MR member to go with this machine, as I love the design and don't need a large monitor on it.

Of course, the Studio Display is an ADC monitor, which I didn't think was an issue since my ATI card has an ADC connector. However, upon connecting it and firing up the Quicksilver, I got nothing. Upon further inspection it occurred to me that the ATI card doesn't have the additional pins to go in the power slot that's in "front" of the AGP card slot.

Since the display gets it's juice via the ADC connector, and the ATI card doesn't appear to have the provision for power via ADC, am I screwed, and/or relegated to using the stock 32M NVIDIA card that came with the Quicksilver?

Is there a hack I can make to provide power to the display using the ATI card? I really don't want to lose the additional graphics memory if I can help it..

Thanks in advance for the help,

MacDann

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Was the 9600XT a pull from a G5?

If so, you are out of luck.

They rearranged the Pins so the card could support 8x and ADC Power.

Tracer

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I believe it is - I got it from a MR member as well, although I'm not sure where it originally came from.

If I could get power to the board, can't it power the monitor, or are the connections used in the later video cards (non-powered ADC) already taken by something else?

I checked my preferred source, xlr8yourmac, and the best I could find was someone who had retrofitted a MDD power supply into a Quicksilver, and in doing so, hard wired the video board with the proper input from the power supply.

If it's just a matter of getting the power from the socket on the MB to a point on the video board where it would get out to the monitor, I could do it. I've got plenty of electronics experience and the equipment to do the job. As long as it doesn't involve SMDs I can handle it.

MacDann

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I could have sworn someone made an external power adapter that would run an ADC display (my friend's video card died and he had an ADC monitor so I was looking for options), but Google isn't coming up with anything so either I am mistaken, or they are no longer made...

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Dr Bott is what you're looking for i think... DVIator here. lets you hook an ADC monitor to any DVI video card. i've seen them go for lots less on ebay, but it's really hit or miss. best of luck.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I'm still trying to figure out if I can port the power from the connector on the motherboard to the video card in some fashion. If I can get to the pins for the 25V supply on the connector, I could solder jumpers in or make up a pigtail that would plug in to the connector on the motherboard.

I have to believe that someone out there has done this hack, but I haven't found anything yet....

MacDann

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
I found these two diagrams:

It seems that you could easily make an ADC monitor work as a normal DVI monitor, you'd just have to flip the top pins with the bottom pins and get a power adapter to fit in the first pin column.

http://developer.apple.com/document...01/3Input-Output/Apple_Display_Connector.html

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html

I'm also so surprised there's absolutely no hack for this yet. Tell me if you're gonna try it. I may try too.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
I found these two diagrams:

It seems that you could easily make an ADC monitor work as a normal DVI monitor, you'd just have to flip the top pins with the bottom pins and get a power adapter to fit in the first pin column.

http://developer.apple.com/document...01/3Input-Output/Apple_Display_Connector.html

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html

I'm also so surprised there's absolutely no hack for this yet. Tell me if you're gonna try it. I may try too.

Its good you found it. I don't like ADC or it's specifications.... so your really good to do that. Was it you're idea??

:D Best sentence I could come up with misusing all those words. Your profile made me laugh.... people misusing those all the time bugs the **** out of me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.