G4 Quicksilver motherboard problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mannon, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Mannon macrumors newbie

I have a G4 Quicksilver 733 that has gone through two motherboards since March '02. Yesterday it seems that it has taken it's third.
    Here's the scenario:
    Push power button, get startup chime, fan and hard drive spin up. That's it.
    I had it diagnosed and serviced at an authorized dealer/service center the first couple of times and it's there now waiting for someone to check it out. The first two times it was covered under warranty but now the warranty's up and I'll probably have to eat it.
    Anyone else have this trouble? Is there any way to diagnose what is causing it?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

The warrenty should be from 1 year since the last service. I'd see if they'd replace the power supply. Thats usually a good place to start when motherboards are being eaten in a system.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I would have to agree that a faulty power supply would be the primary suspect.

4. bannedagain macrumors member

A frined of mine has just fried her first logic board on her Quicksilver. Here username on this fourm is Anna. It's going again now, but I'm not quite sure what happened.

5. Mannon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.
    Any suggestions of sources for powersupplies/motherboards?

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I use to know a bunch of great places for Mac parts but I've lost those addresses. Here's one I found in a quick search.

http://www.toshibalaptops.com/apple.html

Something else to do would be to search eBay and call to authorized Apple repair shops looking for used parts.