Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bfreer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Please help me
my G4 quicksilver has resently decided that it doesnt want to work. when i press the power button the light and fans come on but then cut out again after about a second. any ideas?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I had a problem similar to that with my QS. My problem was that I had too many buss powered USB devices connected to a PCI USB2 card.
Have you tried resetting the PMU (a little button on the mother board, right next to the internatl battery)?

bfreer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
I had a problem similar to that with my QS. My problem was that I had too many buss powered USB devices connected to a PCI USB2 card.
Have you tried resetting the PMU (a little button on the mother board, right next to the internatl battery)?

yer i tried it a few times with no luck :(
and i have now pulled the machine out from the desk so nothing is plugged into it apart from the power and monitor

macsg

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
G4 quicksilver startup problems

i had the same problem and i tried almost everything.
it resolved itself by imobilising the big fan with a pensil (under the power supply) for a second or two, while starting up.

mr1970

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Have you checked the voltage on your PMU battery? Replacing that will cost a couple of bucks and has worked for me on two different machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.