G4 Quicksilver w/ Superdrive.. IS it DVD-RW?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Pipian, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Pipian macrumors regular

Can a Dual 800Mhz Quicksilver rewrite DVD-RW's? Or Only Write to DVD-R's? Apple-history says that it can Rewrite, but Everymac, doesn't say so, but it says nothing about Rewriting CD's too..

2. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I know the drive is capable, but i dont belive anyways exist to actually do it. Atleast not without some special software.

3. Mblazened macrumors regular

Not when burning within the finder, but maybe with an application like Toast. Its not "supported" but is likely possible.

4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

G4 Quicksilver w/ Superdrive - will it burn/toast DVD-RW?

Pipian, identify which brand of SuperDrive Apple installed in your Quicksilver by going to Apple's System Profiler (ASP) found in the Applications > Utilities.
    Chances are pretty good it's a 2x Pioneer DVR-104PB.
    Mine WAS until I swapped it out for a new 8x Pioneer DVR-A07U. My QS is a dual 1GHz, so our Macs are close cousins.

Apple
    has yet to provide a new Driver for the 8x burners, but download PatchBurn II at:
    http://www.xlr8mymac.com
    and look for a hyperlink to a forum covering laser drives described as DVD/CD±R/RW

Apple
    has always supported burning and re-initializing -RW media, and has started supporting burning & erasing +RW with a driver since Oct 23, 2003 update.
    All major manufacturers now are cross platform, burning DVD/CD±R/RW instead of just one or the other.

As was said before, your really need Roxio Toast 6 for burning everything easily. Most serious "MacBurners" out there have Toast. Even Toast 5 upgraded to latest version works in OS X, including Panther.

Can you get a buyer for your old SuperDrive, someone who only has a ComboDrive, say for $90?
    Pioneer is offering a $30 mail-in Rebate for its new 8x DVR-A07D with a list of $230. But, Fry's has also just dropped the street price to $200. So
    if you get $30 Rebate off $200 = $170
    if you sell your old SD for $90, your net cost is $80 !!! ;)
    An extra surprise stat for the A07 is that it handles more than the standard 4.7GB DVD±R discs, it says
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:
    Capacity: 7.14 GB :eek:
    Manufacturer: PIONEER
    Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D
    Could this mean it is capable of burning the new dual-layer DVD-R media?

If you download Toast 6 online, you save $10 off the boxed $99 price, but check
    http://www.roxio.com
    for latest and greatest, special deal today and today only...
    http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/rebate.jhtml if you qualify - read the rules.
    Not familiar with Toast 6, check this Demo out for fun and info:
    http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/product_demo.jhtml

External FireWire 8x SuperDrives by LaCie d2 are only $249 and include a FREE full $99 version of Toast 6 (if it says so on the outside box) Don't let anyone sell you a 4x now that 8x has been released..
    For DVD/CD media backup, toast both ±R/RW media. To reuse ±RW media, Toast lets you "Erase". 0S 10.3 is supposed to add support for even +RW media since Oct 2003 with data.

Attached Files:

5. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

If you have OSX, you can use the Disk Utility to format the DVD-RW and then it will appear as if a CD-R in the Finder, and you can burn it. When you need to re-write it, just erase it in Disk Utility again. Not elegant, but it works (at least on mine).

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

We have the same line of QS burners.

The Pioneer A03. Suports DVD-R at 2x and DVD-RW at 1x.