g4/router-problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by xcaressx, Dec 5, 2003.

1. xcaressx macrumors newbie

hey all,
    it's maybe been posted a lot before, but i still need lots of help ...

i have a g4 with panther connected to a smc adsl router/modem-combo.

so far so good, got everything connected, installed, configured etc. and the os tells me i'm connected to the internet through my local ethernet.

ok, when i try to open any website i'll just get the message: cannot find server + there's no data-income-light lit on the router ...

when i turn back to the usb-dsl-modem the connection is perfect but as soon as i try it through the router: nothing!
    same with the w2000-pc connected to the same router ...

i live in holland and use wanadoo as a provider, if that should be important to know.

alright, i really, really appreciate any help!!!!!
    thanks a lot and take care,

olli

2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Is DHCP enabled on the WAN and LAN side of the router? When you connected to the router, do you renew your IP? Can you ping the router?

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Also, does your provider require authentication? I'm not quite certain which light is not lit, so I'm not sure if it's LAN or WAN problems you're experiencing.

4. xcaressx thread starter macrumors newbie

g4/router-problem

thanks to both of you.
    i enabled dhcp everywhere. i need authentification and gave it (i entered my password and so on) so that shouldn't be the problem.
    the light not lit is the ADSL-data light, which means there is no data transferring.

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well, I'm not too knowledgeable on the settings for a router but our previous Linksys died. I'm not sure why but these routers sure seem to be fragile and I ended up replacing it with a Belkin. Yeah I know some people here sing to the high heavens in praise for Linksys but I've had two DOA routers from them and the third crapped out on me.

6. xcaressx thread starter macrumors newbie

news

hey folks,
    problem still not solved. talked to smc-helpdesk and they told me concerning to the messages in the security log it seems to be something wrong with the password-settings ... but i double-checked it and they are definitively correct.
    she said maybe the vpi/vci-settings are incorrect.
    any ideas???

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Ok, did you know that the MAC address of your modem probably has to be registered with your DSL provider. i.e. your unique 48 bit id number that you modem/router contains probably has to be registered with your dsl provider. you will probably have to call them and say I just purchased X modem and i would like to know if i need to do any registration prodecures. also note that you probably shouldn't mention that you are connecting more than one computer to your modem. If you don't want to do that, and you router supports MAC address cloning. just clone the MAC address of your computer. there is a lot of stuff online on how to do this, but it should be fairly straight forwarded in the router interface.

another thing that could be the problem is your dsl modem software that is running the usb modem might be messing with your with the new modem. something to thing about. that tends to mess people up to.

it might be a combo of both too.

8. xcaressx thread starter macrumors newbie

mac address

hey, thanks a lot! that mac-adress-idea really makes sense to me. i called my provider but they told me i can use their service with any mac address ... don't know if that's the truth or not ... i told them i purchased a new modem and he told me to use pppAe instaed of pppOe. but i wanna connect through ethernet with the router so i have to use pppOe, don't i???
    anyways, unfortunately i can't find any way to clone the mac address with my router ... it's an smc adsl router/modem-combo ... maybe someone knows more?

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Re: mac address

http://www.dslreports.com/information/kb/PPPoA

you should use what they tell you. PPPoA and PPPoE has nothing to do with your ethernet.

in my opinion smc is about the worst product you could have bought. you should check on the smc site and call their tech support.