G4 Sawtooth Upgrading...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by astrocity20, Jun 16, 2005.

1. astrocity20 macrumors member

Hey folks. I might be in the area of nabbing a Sawtooth if I can get it cheap :p Anywho my "q" is what Apple processors will work on a Sawtooth board?... the third party upgrades... whew! to much for me :D

I've done a bit of research and with some modding I've found that you can get QS to work on ST, and I'm guessing you can just as well get gigE, DA, processors to work as well. And if you have a later board (which I doubt I'll be able to get ahold of) it'll support Duals as well (I guess) w/ the 100mhz fsb back breaker but hey anything's better than 350-400mhz and after some overclocking you can get a pretty good machine no?

^^^blah blah blah... here's the question. Will the MDD cpus work in Sawtooths? I've yet to see any mod info on such a thing so I dunno if it exists. If you could point me in the direction if it's possible I'd appreciate it.

BTW: I'm gonna be using the latest OSX version... (insert feline here), Photoshop and Painter. I just need it running smoothly, certainly better than my crappy duron 700mhz. So if you've suggestions givem up, but don't go crazy I'm cheap. :p

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If you are just using it for Tiger, paint and photoshop just stick with the standard processor and max out the RAM and improve the graphics card this will be adequete to do the jobs you want it to do.....

ShadoW
    :p

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    IIRC, the MDD processor cards will not fit in the previous boards as shipped. I remember seeing something about modifying one to fit into a QS, but it required extensive work, basically, it's not worth it.