G4 sawtooth video card needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aquajet, Sep 2, 2005.

1. aquajet macrumors 68020

I just bought a G4 450mhz single processor on ebay to use as a cheap second desktop computer, and want to upgrade the original Rage 128 card with a Quartz Extreme compatible card. But I'm not sure what the best card under $100 would be. I'm thinking an original Radeon or Radeon 8500, maybe a GeForce 2mx. But I've also seen several flashed PC cards on the bay. How well do these work, for example say a Radeon 9250? Are there any glitches or issues that must be dealt with?

2. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

If you can find an original Radeon or a GeForce 2MX, that would be sufficient to get Quartz Extreme going. I think the money is better spent being put towards a CPU upgrade, as it'll provide more of an across-the-board performance benefit.

3. aquajet thread starter macrumors 68020

Thats silencio. I figured that would be the case, and I might go ahead and do that as well. Maybe an OWC 1 ghz upgrade, maybe a SATA card too :D but I don't want to get too carried away with this, it could easily exceed the cost of a mini...but then again, what the heck kind of mods can you do to a mini?