G4 Sawtooth Video Upgrade...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by applemacdude, Sep 14, 2004.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

So i got a Sawtooth G4 but alas it only has a ATI 128 video card, what is a good upgrade for the mac? I have some money but dont really want to waste that much money on it.

Thanks

2. jptrott macrumors newbie

Check macsales.com for all your upgrades needs.

I believe the best option out there right now is the ATI 9200.

http://eshop.macsales.com

3. buzzfgo macrumors member

buzzfgo

Is ATI the only company that makes aftermarket video cards for mac's?

4. jptrott macrumors newbie

there are other special needs venders for video needs etc.

But i think ati is the only one that sales a PCI mac version that is need for a sawtooth.

5. Biker21098 macrumors member

sawtooth video

I have an old sawtooth, runs like a champ still. I have a Powerlogix processor upgrade etc. I use a Radeon 8500, you can overclock it a bit with the new ATIcellerator pref pane. use AGP as long as you have the non yikes upgraded board that some sawtooths had, for a bit i think. If you have a AGP slot, USE it. People have said much more more than an 8500 doesn't really improve much because of the slow bus and only 2x AGP slot. I'm not sure. But the 8500 was a huge help also because you get quartz out of it. anyways good luck.

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

If you are buying from owc (as mentioned) i wouldn't go for the 9200, but the 9000.
    The 9000 is agp, and the 9200 is pci. (agp is faster than pci..)

The drawback with agp cards in sawtooths is that they don't have agp 28v power, which will render the ADC video port unusable. The DVI will still work.
    If you are planning to use 2 screens, then you won't buy the 9000.
    If you are going for the 9200, then you can still keep the rage card in the sawtooth and use 3 screens on the computer. You will have to use a pci slot (could be troublesome for some, have filled up all three slots on my sawtooth..)

If you can get a old radeon 8500 (agp) it would be the best for your sawtooth, the r8500 have both dvi and vga connects and both connectors will work on the sawtooth...

The geforce 2mx isn't much of an upgrade for the sawtooth, atleast go with a radeon 7500 or geforce 4mx..

7. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude