G4 shuts down during boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by btc, Nov 10, 2006.

1. btc macrumors member

Jan 29, 2006
    my B&W G3 had a motherboard failure, so i bought a Yikes G4 because everything from the G3 would fit the G4 and uhhh, i'm poor :) Sawtooth would have been a better choice but the Yikes was way affordable and i'm not a power user anyway.

This is the problem with the G4: about 25% of the time when i boot the machine seems fine until about 10 seconds into self-check and it just powers down and shuts itself off. other times it boots just fine.

the worst was when it powered down 4 times in a row. i changed the motherboard battery with a fresh one with no change in behaviour. i booted from an install disk and used disk first aid to confirm that the drive is ok.

am i looking at the beginning of a power supply failure?

it's running 10.2

anyone have any ideas?

any help would be very much appreciated.

TIA, Jim
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
  3. btc thread starter macrumors member

Jan 29, 2006
    I would truely like to buy a new intel Mac. How much can you help me out with the purchase? :)

I did zap the pram (thanks for the link) and it's doing it less, but still occasionally shuts down.

Anybody else got an idea, or a donation towards buying a new Mac?

I'm not totally SOL, i have a 7 day DOA warrantee and a 30 day warrantee against component failure from the refurbisher (BetaMacs.)