G4 shuts down during boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by btc, Nov 10, 2006.

1. btc macrumors member

my B&W G3 had a motherboard failure, so i bought a Yikes G4 because everything from the G3 would fit the G4 and uhhh, i'm poor :) Sawtooth would have been a better choice but the Yikes was way affordable and i'm not a power user anyway.

This is the problem with the G4: about 25% of the time when i boot the machine seems fine until about 10 seconds into self-check and it just powers down and shuts itself off. other times it boots just fine.

the worst was when it powered down 4 times in a row. i changed the motherboard battery with a fresh one with no change in behaviour. i booted from an install disk and used disk first aid to confirm that the drive is ok.

am i looking at the beginning of a power supply failure?

it's running 10.2

anyone have any ideas?

any help would be very much appreciated.

TIA, Jim

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

3. btc thread starter macrumors member

I would truely like to buy a new intel Mac. How much can you help me out with the purchase? :)

I did zap the pram (thanks for the link) and it's doing it less, but still occasionally shuts down.

Anybody else got an idea, or a donation towards buying a new Mac?

I'm not totally SOL, i have a 7 day DOA warrantee and a 30 day warrantee against component failure from the refurbisher (BetaMacs.)